Outlook 2016 Send from Outlook Alias Account?

Anonymous
2015-07-25T00:36:11+00:00

As encouraged by Microsoft, I have created and use an alias attached/linked to my primary outlook.com.  For years, it has been impossible to send e-mail from the alias using the Outlook Win32/64 client.  I have to go to Outlook.com in order to do so.

I have just installed the Office 2016 Preview and am severely disappointed to find that I cannot send from the alias within the new client. 

Am I incorrect?  Is it actually possible to send from ******@outlook.com rather than ******@outlook.com?

Microsoft 365 and Office
Microsoft 365 and Office

A comprehensive suite of productivity tools and cloud services that enhance collaboration, communication, and efficiency. Combining classic Office apps with advanced Microsoft 365 features, it supports both personal and business needs

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-19T10:43:57+00:00

    If you look at those links, you will see the first one says "Note: There currently is a limitation issue that will still have you send out with your @outlook address when sending via Outlook. It does work correctly when using the Outlook.com website. You can work around this by adding your other account as a send only account in Outlook."

    And it is this limitation (new to the new platform) that is not acceptable. And yes, I have configured an account on Outlook desktop to "Send only" for personaldomain - it does indeed send but the email remains in the Outbox, can't be moved any where and does not appear in the Sent items folder so that old workround which has worked for at  east 10 years has now been broken.

    Outlook.com Premium is not available for UK and, in any case, I pay subscription for Office 365 which includes Outlook so it should work properly without being forced to buy another sub.

    I have now lost track of the number of times I have deleted / reconnected my connected accounts in Outlook Desktop, Outlook Web Access sometimes as IMAP, sometimes as POP3.

    It's a continuing nightmare. In the past, I had several accounts, could send from any of them from the desktop, move emails from one folder to the other and all worked. Then they downgraded functionality so emails could not be moved from one folder to another. So sending from the correct and correctly named account became even more important. Now that seems impossible in Outlook and Outlook Web Access.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2016-12-30T09:43:27+00:00

    Are there any news in this topic - I mean is it possible to send emails from Outlook 2016 from default outlook.com alias without having this silly on behalf of and without need to pickup particular alias from dropdown FROM menu in Outlook 2016 (connected as fully exchange).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-11-14T06:19:13+00:00

    I've always had this "outlook_string at outlook com on behalf of the desired email address" behaviour - both before and after the upgrade to EAS. That's what I avoided by using Linked Accounts. However, now post-upgrade, Connected Accounts don't save sent items in the Sent Items folder so I tried alias again in Outlook.com and it's still the same. "on behalf of" doesn't cut it when using it with sites expecting your desired email address and/or clients who know you by desired email address.

    I think this is related to the way you added your alias in outlook.com or, to be more accurate, to the way you did not setup the "desired email address" in outlook.com in such a way you can send message with.

    You'll find explanations is these great articles https://www.msoutlook.info/question/outlookcom-with-custom-domain-from-address or https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/outlookcompersonaladdress.htm.

    What you need to focus on is the process to have a "connected account". If were you, I would try to remove the faulty accounts from your list (here: https://outlook.live.com/owa/?path=/options/connections) and setup them again from scratch. It seems the connected accounts are not always correctly migrated from the previous outlook.com to EAS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-11-13T22:32:35+00:00

    Here you go

    I've always had this "outlook_string at outlook com on behalf of the desired email address" behaviour - both before and after the upgrade to EAS. That's what I avoided by using Linked Accounts. However, now post-upgrade, Connected Accounts don't save sent items in the Sent Items folder so I tried alias again in Outlook.com and it's still the same. "on behalf of" doesn't cut it when using it with sites expecting your desired email address and/or clients who know you by desired email address.

    And, as it happens, I have an inbound email from a correspondent to whom I have previously sent from an alias - in her reply to me, you can clearly see the "on behalf of" nonsense I don't want:

    If they hadn't broken Connected Accounts Sent Items folder, this wouldn't have mattered. But they did. Now, there is no way to use a non-Outlook domain with Outlook and have your outbound emails a) look as if they come from your domain and b) get saved in the sent Items folder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments