Outlook 2016 Send from Outlook Alias Account?

Anonymous
2015-07-25T00:36:11+00:00

As encouraged by Microsoft, I have created and use an alias attached/linked to my primary outlook.com.  For years, it has been impossible to send e-mail from the alias using the Outlook Win32/64 client.  I have to go to Outlook.com in order to do so.

I have just installed the Office 2016 Preview and am severely disappointed to find that I cannot send from the alias within the new client. 

Am I incorrect?  Is it actually possible to send from ******@outlook.com rather than ******@outlook.com?

Microsoft 365 and Office
Microsoft 365 and Office

A comprehensive suite of productivity tools and cloud services that enhance collaboration, communication, and efficiency. Combining classic Office apps with advanced Microsoft 365 features, it supports both personal and business needs

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T14:49:23+00:00

    Yes, I have been hosting my personal domain email addresses on hotmail.com and then outlook.com for years.  Microsoft is just getting greedy and not letting new users do this anymore and now trying to squeeze out current users by making life difficult after the migration to the Office 360 platform.  There answer is "buy the Premium email".  So much for the promise to continue to support existing domains.  I have made it work by making my alias my primary in outlook.com, but it is a quirky solution when you go to Outlook 2016......"sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" is the Microsoft support answer.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T14:44:09+00:00

    Google does not hose personal domains anymore either.  I went with hotmail.com / outlook.com because it was integrated to my Outlook 2016 desktop version.  Now Microsoft is reneging on their promise to keep supporting existing accounts.......

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T14:41:35+00:00

    I had to use my alias when setting up the profile to make it work.  I still have some issues, as Microsoft is trying to force everyone to Premium and Office 360 subscription so they make billions more.......

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T14:37:44+00:00

    I had to make my alias my primary address in outlook.com.  It still does not really work right, but I can send email from my personal domain email address now, but Microsoft now says they will not support this forever (even though they said they would during the data migration to Office 360).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T11:50:16+00:00

    I've gave up. Never succeed.

    If you would like to try it, Yandex provides free custom domain private email system, which may meet your needs. And you could just login your new email inside Outlook.com or Outlook 2016 through IMAP protocol.

    I'm currently using Thunderbird to replace Outlook 2016. It works great and has better support to OpenPGP.

    Hope this would do a little help to you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments