"microsoft word protect view has stopped working"

Anonymous
2013-06-05T05:59:02+00:00

I have MS office 2013 email attachments when being opened are displaying "Microsoft word protect view has stopped working" (same for excel) and closes the document. Any clues

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-01-15T23:20:38+00:00

Hi everyone!

The updated driver is now available via Windows Update as well. If you happened to disable hardware acceleration as a workaround before the driver was available, you should re-enable it to avoid potential performance issues. More info here on how to do that.

Have a great weekend.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-11-23T02:03:51+00:00

    Save the document to the local drive and then in File Explorer or Windows Explorer, right click on it and then on Properties and then click on the Unblock button or box.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-23T20:39:39+00:00

    Hi everyone ,

    I'm happy to report that after a lot of trail and error I have managed to successfully track down the culprit of this issue.

    It turns out those machines that have a USB dock use DisplayLink software - this causes a fault in conjunction with Windows 10 - went ahead and uninstalled the software and BINGO - everything is back to normal 

    Now just have to wait on the folks from DisplayLink to release different software/drivers or a patch to fix this if they haven't already done so :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-23T20:52:57+00:00

    Hi everyone ,

    I'm happy to report that after a lot of trail and error I have managed to successfully track down the culprit of this issue.

    It turns out those machines that have a USB dock use DisplayLink software - this causes a fault in conjunction with Windows 10 - went ahead and uninstalled the software and BINGO - everything is back to normal 

    Now just have to wait on the folks from DisplayLink to release different software/drivers or a patch to fix this if they haven't already done so :)

    Really appreciate the follow up information on this, Eduard. I have and use a DisplayLink adapter with my XPS so this will have to get fixed with a driver update for it since uninstalling is not an option for my particular use case.

    I guess now I can go hound the DisplayLink folks for a fix. Again, really appreciate your helping to narrow down the source of this frustration.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-23T22:01:02+00:00

    In what is probably the best customer support experience I've had in my life, I reached out to DisplayLink about the potential conflict and received a follow up response no more than 5 minutes later. Here's the scoop:

    • DisplayLink has recently been made aware of the issue and is currently testing a new release that includes a fix for it.
      • 11/24 update: per my support contact at DisplayLink, pending no issues are found with the current build the ETA for the updated driver is mid-December.
    • There is a better workaround for this issue than the one previously recommended of disabling Protected View:
      • Open an Office application (I used Word) and go Options > Advanced and check the "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" box and click OK.

    I am happy to report that this resolved my issue and I am now able to preview attachments within Outlook with Protected View still enabled. I didn't even have to reboot for the change to take effect.

    Big tip of the hat to DisplayLink for their stellar customer service and follow up on this. Hope this information can be of help to others dealing with this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments