"microsoft word protect view has stopped working"

Anonymous
2013-06-05T05:59:02+00:00

I have MS office 2013 email attachments when being opened are displaying "Microsoft word protect view has stopped working" (same for excel) and closes the document. Any clues

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-01-15T23:20:38+00:00

Hi everyone!

The updated driver is now available via Windows Update as well. If you happened to disable hardware acceleration as a workaround before the driver was available, you should re-enable it to avoid potential performance issues. More info here on how to do that.

Have a great weekend.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-11-23T02:03:51+00:00

    Save the document to the local drive and then in File Explorer or Windows Explorer, right click on it and then on Properties and then click on the Unblock button or box.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-23T00:28:55+00:00

    I seem to get this message lots. The latest is I downloaded an excel file to downloads then went to open and got the usual error message. It seems to happen way to often. At first I though all the word documents were corrupted, but I have finally come around to this now.

    So where are we up to? I really need to view this file.

    Dave

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T17:59:59+00:00

    I've just found this so seems it is a widespread bug: http://windowsitpro.com/microsoft-office/protected-view-has-stopped-working-message-after-last-round-office-updates

    So the options are either:

    • Wait an indefinite time for it to be fixed (it's been over a week already) and don't open any potentially insecure files from the internet or email attachments
    • Unblock each file individually so it opens in a less secure way by first saving it somewhere
    • Globally unblock all files for a specific Office Application from Trust Centre Settings

    Robin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T17:52:56+00:00

    This issue has also been occurring for me since the last Office update was installed on Office 2016 and was fine before this. I have tried re-installing too and it doesn't help as presumably Office 365 installs the latest version containing this bug. I am  also running a Surface Pro 3 so not sure if this is a coincidence.

    Rather than the security risk of disabling the protection offered by protected mode for everything I also need to save an attachment somewhere then go to where it is saved and then right-click properties and click unblock before I can open it which is rather time consuming.

    It would be good to know when it will be addressed.

    Robin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments