Word 2013 "This image cannot currently be displayed"

Anonymous
2013-12-02T19:30:11+00:00

I am running Microsoft 365 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer.

I'm trying to insert .png images into my document, but only the box with the red x and the message "This image cannot currently be displayed."

Is there a maximum image size that Word can handle?  These are 11x17 .png images that range from about 5 to 13 MB.

Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-20T01:44:21+00:00

    Some of the pasted picture are there and some are not. When you look at the document I emailed you there are several chapters and three of the chapters were pasted as complete chapters from another document; one chapter has all the pictures, one chapter has some missing pictures and one has most missing. I do not understand why the pictures would be linked. I do this operation on a regular basis and this has not happened before. The whole issue wastes many many many hours of valuable time.

    Please put me in contact with Microsoft because this whole issue is a total disaster for me, I need to know what I have to do to sort out this existing document and what I have to do to stop my document self destructing. 

    Regards

    Paul E Harris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-20T03:50:10+00:00

    I have forwarded your document to my MS contact.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-20T11:38:35+00:00

    To be quite honest I cannot believe that this problem has not been sorted out yet by Microsoft. I should imagine that there are many more people that experience the same difficulty but either put up with it or spend hours trying to put together documents using various alternative means. Instead of passing the buck please just sort it out. I, like many on this thread, have wasted many hours trying to finalise documents with images in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-20T13:42:14+00:00

    Please keep in mind you're not talking to Microsoft here, just other users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-29T19:03:04+00:00

    So I just found this thread and had the same problem with images not linking in my Word doc. I did some more searching and found a solution that actually worked for me.

    1. With your Word document open, click the File tab, top-left of the window.
    2. Under Related Documents, on the lower right-hand side,click Edit Links to Files.
    3. In the dialog that is displayed, select and highlight the images you want to convert from the list.
    4. Check the Save picture in document checkbox.
    5. Click the Break Link button.
    6. Click OK to confirm.

    The links are removed and the images are now embedded in your Word document.

    I hope it works for others as well!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments