Word 2013 "This image cannot currently be displayed"

Anonymous
2013-12-02T19:30:11+00:00

I am running Microsoft 365 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer.

I'm trying to insert .png images into my document, but only the box with the red x and the message "This image cannot currently be displayed."

Is there a maximum image size that Word can handle?  These are 11x17 .png images that range from about 5 to 13 MB.

Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-03T11:48:05+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

    I understand your concern and will assist you with this issue.

    Provide additional information to assist you better:

    1. Where from are you inserting the picture? Is it from local drive or from shared location?
    2. Are you experiencing this issue only when you insert large size pictures?

    'The maximum file size is limited to 32 MB for the total document'. Visit the following link to learn more about 'Operating parameter limitations and specifications in Word'

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211489/

    Hope this helps. Reply with necessary information and I'll be glad to further assist you.

    Thank You.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-04T07:24:55+00:00

    I am having this trouble too.  Sometimes my graphics insert fine, and sometimes they don't.  Sometimes my graphics display, and sometimes they don't.  Often closing and re-opening the file gets around the issue temporarily, but it always recurs. My file size is about 32Mbytes.  My graphics are maximum 2Mbyte .pngs, and I have about 20 such.

    The link you provided contradicts what you just said:

    "The maximum file size is limited to 32 MB for the total document text onlyand does not include graphics, regardless of how the graphics image is inserted (Link to file, Save with document, or Wrapping style) into the document. Therefore, if the file contains graphics, the maximum file size can be larger than 32 MB."

    I have just had an instance in which I was looking at an empty rectangle, ctl-tabbed here to edit this note, and ctl-tabbed back to find the graphic displaying correctly.  Is it a latency issue?  Repeating this procedure, with a delay of about 30 seconds, another display rectifies itself.  I am using an HP Spectre laptop with quad-core processor and 4Gbytes RAM.  64 bit Windows 8.1, 32 bit Office.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-14T15:21:37+00:00

    Hello George,

    I'd like to ask a question before proceeding:

    Does this issue occur on a new Word document?

    Let's try the following methods and verify the result:

    Method 1Let's open the Word document go to File > Options> Advanced > Display >and check Disable hardware graphics acceleration > Apply > OK. Now close and re-open the file and verify the result.

    Method 2Change the default printer driver to Microsoft Onenote following instructions mentioned in the article below and verify the result:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-printer#1TC=windows-7

    Method 3If issue still persists, start Word in safe mode following instructions mentioned in the article below and then open the problem document and verify the result:

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/why-cant-i-start-my-office-2013-application-HA104011864.aspx

    If Word works in safe mode as expected, follow the steps mentioned in the following article and see if it helps:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

    Hope the above information helps. Reply with the result and I'll be glad to help you further.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-25T14:18:34+00:00

    I have had a very similar problem. I have been able to insert Jpeg files into documents in Word13 and now I cant. The JPEG has been created in Photoshop. Interestingly I can insert the same file in Word 2003 which I have on another machine. The problem appears to lie with Office 2013 Word as I have the same issue in Word 2013 on different computers within the office. Can you please assist? The file is only 2MB

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-27T06:50:38+00:00

    Hello Steve,

    Please provide additional information:

    1. What happens when you insert other type image files like *.bmp or *.png? Do you still experience similar issue?
    2. Did you try performing any troubleshooting steps? If no, I suggest you to try the steps mentioned in my previous reply and see if it helps.

    I look forward to your reply to assist you further.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments