Word 2013 "This image cannot currently be displayed"

Anonymous
2013-12-02T19:30:11+00:00

I am running Microsoft 365 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer.

I'm trying to insert .png images into my document, but only the box with the red x and the message "This image cannot currently be displayed."

Is there a maximum image size that Word can handle?  These are 11x17 .png images that range from about 5 to 13 MB.

Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-29T01:46:33+00:00

    UserLJ

    That is an enormous image. Do you really need a graphic in your document that is 47 inches wide (12386 pixels @ 260dpi). Your file size for the png format is not an issue but it seems very small for such a large number of pixels.

    That said, it really should work. It sounds like you have already tried a bunch of things that should have worked. Can you try something else - Try saving your document in doc format. The graphics handling of the 2007+ versions is different from the older format and you might have more luck with the old formats.

    Can you load a copy of your png file to a shared drive so I can test it on another Word 2013 machine? It may be an issue with the version of PNG that Inkscape saves although I would consider this unlikely.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-28T21:45:29+00:00

    Unfortunately the suggestions don't work. I'm wondering why Daniel or anyone from MS is not responding here. Apparently they don't give a **** about their customers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-28T21:26:32+00:00

    Start by closing and reopening Word. That's all it took for me. I'm sure it won't solve the problem for everyone but it's an easy thing to try first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-09T19:05:37+00:00

    Hello –

    I ran into this recently and would like to share a workaround that worked for me and a bit of insight. I was getting the same “image cannot be displayed” when inserting or copy / pasting a few specific jpegs to MS Office Word 2013. This issue would not happen in Word 2007, my issue was related using Autocad and exporting an image to a PDF and then copying or exporting the PDF image into a Jpeg to Word document. I was using Acrobat Standard (Adobe PDF) and had the issue. The workaround was to use a different software to convert the pdf from AutoCad (I used PDF995) and then I was able to retrieve the image and insert into the word document fine. I read MS Word 2013 has blocked a few vulnerabilities coming from specific picture files. I suspect it seeing what it thinks is a vulnerability in my previous method mentioned and therefore blocks it.   Hope it helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-15T17:51:00+00:00

    Hi Daniel,

    I'm experiencing similar problems as the TS with inserting images in Word 2013. I believe its a bug in MS Word 2013 since I didn't have the problem with MS word 2010. Moreover, files created in Word 2010 on the same computer now show problems when opened in Word 2013. I'll try to explain below in detail, so the problem for me and many other users can be fixed.

    Problem description

    Some of the pictures I insert in word 2013 are not properly inserted and only show a white frame with text "This image cannot currently be displayed" (see img1). Various times when a picture is inserted (or a previously saved document opened) only the space required for the picture is visible, the picture itself is not shown, the white frame is not shown and the notification text is not shown either. Once a picture is inserted (or saved document is opened) and picture cannot be shown I often experience that Word freezes and becomes unresponsive. Now and then the document can be closed and a box popups to save the document, however it also occurs that the save box pop ups but no text/buttons are visible within the box (see img2). Word can only be closed through Windows task manager then.

    I also noticed that when I have 2 word documents open at the same time and I insert an image in document 1 resulting in only a white frame instead of the picture, the pictures that did show properly in document 2 now have also been replaced with the white frame. When document 1 becomes unresponsive, document 2 becomes unresponsive as well. Closing document 1 through taskbar allows to continue working in document 2 and images are suddenly shown correct again.

    Img1

    Img2

    System details

    Win 7 Pro (English) 64 bit

    CPU 3.40 GHz

    RAM 8 GB

    Office 2013 (15.0.4623.1003)

    Troubleshooting steps tried

    Image details

    I’ve created various sizes of basic images with Inscape and inserted them as png file in a new blanc document to verify if the problem occurs.

    Images are created with Inkscape and exported too png format.

    Images of 260 DPI (12386 x 8693 pixels) and higher/larger cause the problem when inserted in Word 2013. At 260 DPI the image was only 436 KB for a png file.

    With Irfanview I converted the PNG image to BMP, JPG and TIF, and the same problem occurred with these files when inserted in Word 2013.

    Tried suggestions

    Method 1. check Disable hardware graphics acceleration. > no result, also when document is reopened problem still exist.

    Method 2. Change the default printer driver to Microsoft Onenote.****> no result, also when document is reopened problem still exist.

    Method 3. start Word in safe mode**.** > no result, also when document is reopened problem still exist.

    Method 4. Toggle the option "Do not compress images in file". > no result, also when document is reopened problem still exist.

    I see this as an annoying bug in Word 2013, since before I updated from 2010 I did not experience these problems. I would like to see a bug fix asap, since this is a basic and important feature that should function in word 2013. If you need more details I’m happy to answer them or send the image file so you can try yourself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    400+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments