Word 2013 "This image cannot currently be displayed"

Anonymous
2013-12-02T19:30:11+00:00

I am running Microsoft 365 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer.

I'm trying to insert .png images into my document, but only the box with the red x and the message "This image cannot currently be displayed."

Is there a maximum image size that Word can handle?  These are 11x17 .png images that range from about 5 to 13 MB.

Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-07T11:16:51+00:00

    I cant believe this issue has still not been addressed. Iam going to have to revert back to 2007 as i simply cant work with this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-05T03:16:02+00:00

    Same problem, wasted time on forums, none of the proposed fixes work. Elsewhere it seems people are having this issue across the entire office suit since Office 2013 - all worked fine in 2010.

    I just wasted hours working on a document for work before I realized word at home had destroyed all of the images!!

    In the Powerpoint forums there's a reference to a mythical fix (hotfix) for this issue - one of the ones you have to request to download.... goodness knows why it's not auto-deployed as part of normal patches. Anyway I can't find the actual hotifx. Very frustrating!!! Thousands of people have been having this problem for nearly 2 years now and there still seems to be no solution.

    Most of the files I'm having trouble with are vector graphics, so it's not simply the 'number of pixels' that's the problem.

    And what's the deal with a 260 dpi limit?? Printers have been > 300 dpi for decades, and many high resolution screens are getting close too ... what are Microsoft thinking!? Fix it!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-06T16:13:05+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem, and I too have had no luck with any of the suggested fixes.

    This is very frustrating!!!!!

    What is the problem?

    I never had this problem with earlier versions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-12T16:52:03+00:00

    Ditto to all above.  Sometimes an image can be inserted in Word and sometimes it can't.  They were all created at the same time, and they all worked FINE in Word 2007.

    Now in Word 2013 I run into THIS kind of, as someone said, very BASIC problem?

    Microsoft, please fix asap.  It worked FINE before.  It works ... sometimes ... now.  This means it is NOT a problem on my computer but with YOUR software!!!!!!

    Gahhhh ... NOW what do I do, I'm running out of time finishing some very basic WORK!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-07-29T08:27:37+00:00

    Guessed, thanks for your reply.

    I'm aware it's a huge image. Usually I set the images to 300 DPI. Reason for that is that I need high resolution images in articles and books (for print). Text and images are uploaded separately to the publisher, however while writing the text I do need to insert the images in the document for reference etc. As work around I could create various DPI versions of the same image and only use a low DPI in word, however if I decide to change something in the image I do need to re-create all the different DPI versions again. More work and larger chance to make a mistake. It should just work.

    As you suggested I tried saving the document as DOC format, but unfortunately it solve the problem. I have uploaded a sample images @ 300 DPI that gives problems for me. See link below. I usually use Inkscape to create my vector images, but I'll see if Illustrator gives similar problems when saving @ 300 DPI.

    http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/72266928/file.html

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments