Word 2013 "This image cannot currently be displayed"

Anonymous
2013-12-02T19:30:11+00:00

I am running Microsoft 365 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer.

I'm trying to insert .png images into my document, but only the box with the red x and the message "This image cannot currently be displayed."

Is there a maximum image size that Word can handle?  These are 11x17 .png images that range from about 5 to 13 MB.

Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-04T18:42:56+00:00

    I was having this issue with '07 and '10 and thought for sure it would be corrected for '13.  I copy and paste text and graphics from one document to another.  I'll save, close, then open the next document that I need to copy and paste the same items to.  When I paste them in using the clipboard sidepanel, sometimes the images will not be displayed.

    My old fix was to leave the document I copied the images from open.  For some reason, the clipboard seems to forget what the images are if I close the source document (yes, I am opting to save everything on the clipboard when it prompts me after the file is closed).  All is fine except for the nuisance of having to keep one Word document open so that the clipboard paste function works.

    Maybe I'm one of the few lucky ones to experience this problem over several generations of Word.  MS won't fix these bugs because they're not going to lose sales over this.  Everyone is just going to have to suck it up until a better option presents itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-11-13T13:11:21+00:00

    You can reach me at ssbarnhill at gmail dot com. But please don't send the file if it is very large (as most in this thread seem to be). I can put you in touch with Microsoft directly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-13T07:46:14+00:00

    The Office team is looking into this problem and has asked for sample documents that reliably reproduce the errors experienced by all the users in this thread. If you have such a document and can upload it to OneDrive or DropBox and post a link, that will be helpful.

    I have been having this recurring issue for a long time now.  At first I thought it might be user error or even a quirky glitch.  This thread proves me wrong.  Would you please provide a way to communicate directly with you that I may share a document without publishing it publicly?

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-11-12T20:22:25+00:00

    The Office team is looking into this problem and has asked for sample documents that reliably reproduce the errors experienced by all the users in this thread. If you have such a document and can upload it to OneDrive or DropBox and post a link, that will be helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-11-11T12:38:03+00:00

    this is RIDICULOUS! I use Word for my business and need to use graphics. I googled this topic because I am having the same problem.  Typical Microsoft.  I'm going back to Apple at some point - at least they care about their users.  I cannot believe they created a product that has such a HUGE basic issue like this.  they are the WORST.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments