Word 2013 "This image cannot currently be displayed"

Anonymous
2013-12-02T19:30:11+00:00

I am running Microsoft 365 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer.

I'm trying to insert .png images into my document, but only the box with the red x and the message "This image cannot currently be displayed."

Is there a maximum image size that Word can handle?  These are 11x17 .png images that range from about 5 to 13 MB.

Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-20T11:38:35+00:00

    To be quite honest I cannot believe that this problem has not been sorted out yet by Microsoft. I should imagine that there are many more people that experience the same difficulty but either put up with it or spend hours trying to put together documents using various alternative means. Instead of passing the buck please just sort it out. I, like many on this thread, have wasted many hours trying to finalise documents with images in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-20T03:50:10+00:00

    I have forwarded your document to my MS contact.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-20T01:44:21+00:00

    Some of the pasted picture are there and some are not. When you look at the document I emailed you there are several chapters and three of the chapters were pasted as complete chapters from another document; one chapter has all the pictures, one chapter has some missing pictures and one has most missing. I do not understand why the pictures would be linked. I do this operation on a regular basis and this has not happened before. The whole issue wastes many many many hours of valuable time.

    Please put me in contact with Microsoft because this whole issue is a total disaster for me, I need to know what I have to do to sort out this existing document and what I have to do to stop my document self destructing. 

    Regards

    Paul E Harris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-19T14:49:20+00:00

    Your problem appears to be a different one, since you are pasting rather than inserting images. Most likely the images are linked, and the link is broken. Unfortunately, since Word 2010 does not display a field code for linked images (even when inline), it's difficult to ascertain this. If you still want MS to look at your file, I can put them in contact with you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-19T07:07:09+00:00

    I had this issue with MS Word about 10 or so years ago and we had to turn off "Track Changes" to fix it. This issue has now returned to me in MS Word 2010 and is destroying a lot of hard work.

    I created a new document by copying and old file, deleted most of the content and then copied and pasted in bit and pieces from other sources including images.

    I will email a file to Suzanne for her perusal.

    I do not currently have Track Changes on so this is not the issue with this file.

    I will now try the fix outlined by Lazmach.

    Microsoft charge a lot of money for this software and there are still so many bugs, such as the issue of the Watermark deleting headers on change of sections. I just get fed up with this junk that Microsoft push out!

    Regards

    Paul E Harris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments