Word 2013 "This image cannot currently be displayed"

Anonymous
2013-12-02T19:30:11+00:00

I am running Microsoft 365 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer.

I'm trying to insert .png images into my document, but only the box with the red x and the message "This image cannot currently be displayed."

Is there a maximum image size that Word can handle?  These are 11x17 .png images that range from about 5 to 13 MB.

Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-02-15T15:03:52+00:00

    where is the solution from MS moderators in this forum??

    but fortunately, I've found a link here to this solution:

    http://superuser.com/questions/294978/transform-linked-images-to-embedded-images

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-04T21:59:55+00:00

    I simply changed my office from a 32bit to a 64bit as my PC was a 64bit and that resolved the issue.

    I hope this helps someone with similar issues, I had tried everything and in my case this was the last attempt to fix the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-04T20:37:07+00:00

    None of the methods above have worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-16T00:06:03+00:00

    In my experience it has always happens with old large Word documents.

    What ever I do, I never get the pickies back and the destruction of the graphics embedded in the document happens on saving not opening.

    What is the technical reason for using Disable hardware graphics acceleration?

    Regards

    Paul E Harris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-12-15T21:23:09+00:00

    Hello George,

    I'd like to ask a question before proceeding:

    Does this issue occur on a new Word document?

    Let's try the following methods and verify the result:

    Method 1Let's open the Word document go to File > Options> Advanced > Display >and check Disable hardware graphics acceleration > Apply > OK. Now close and re-open the file and verify the result.

    Method 2Change the default printer driver to Microsoft Onenote following instructions mentioned in the article below and verify the result:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-printer#1TC=windows-7

    Method 3If issue still persists, start Word in safe mode following instructions mentioned in the article below and then open the problem document and verify the result:

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/why-cant-i-start-my-office-2013-application-HA104011864.aspx

    If Word works in safe mode as expected, follow the steps mentioned in the following article and see if it helps:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

    Hope the above information helps. Reply with the result and I'll be glad to help you further.

    Thank you.

    Method 1 worked great on solving this problem for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments