Word 2013 "This image cannot currently be displayed"

Anonymous
2013-12-02T19:30:11+00:00

I am running Microsoft 365 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer.

I'm trying to insert .png images into my document, but only the box with the red x and the message "This image cannot currently be displayed."

Is there a maximum image size that Word can handle?  These are 11x17 .png images that range from about 5 to 13 MB.

Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T20:48:53+00:00

    I am having the same problem, but I think I can shed some light on it.  I notice that some of my images can be inserted into the Word 2013 doc and some cannot.  Moreover, I notice that images with a file size somewhere above 1000 kb to 1400 kb and up cannot be displayed.  In my case the three images of file size 1457, 1440 and 1533 kb could not be displayed.

    I think that with this info, Microsoft should be able to better define the problem and provide a resolution.  Please provide a prompt fix as I am sure that this problem is affecting many users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-03T11:48:05+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

    I understand your concern and will assist you with this issue.

    Provide additional information to assist you better:

    1. Where from are you inserting the picture? Is it from local drive or from shared location?
    2. Are you experiencing this issue only when you insert large size pictures?

    'The maximum file size is limited to 32 MB for the total document'. Visit the following link to learn more about 'Operating parameter limitations and specifications in Word'

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211489/

    Hope this helps. Reply with necessary information and I'll be glad to further assist you.

    Thank You.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-27T06:50:38+00:00

    Hello Steve,

    Please provide additional information:

    1. What happens when you insert other type image files like *.bmp or *.png? Do you still experience similar issue?
    2. Did you try performing any troubleshooting steps? If no, I suggest you to try the steps mentioned in my previous reply and see if it helps.

    I look forward to your reply to assist you further.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-25T14:18:34+00:00

    I have had a very similar problem. I have been able to insert Jpeg files into documents in Word13 and now I cant. The JPEG has been created in Photoshop. Interestingly I can insert the same file in Word 2003 which I have on another machine. The problem appears to lie with Office 2013 Word as I have the same issue in Word 2013 on different computers within the office. Can you please assist? The file is only 2MB

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-22T04:39:33+00:00

    Hello Albert

    Please provide more information to help you better:

    1. What are the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far?
    2. Does this issue occur with specific images? If yes, provide property following information of the images:

    a) How was the image created?

    b) What is the R esolution, Size, DPI, format of the image?

    Try the following and verify the result:

    1. After inserting the image, Go to Picture Tools> Adjust Group> Reset Picture> Reset picture and Size and see if it helps.
    2. Also toggle the option "Do not compress images in file" from File> Options> Advanced> Image Size and Quality > OK and verify the result.

    You may also refer to the following thread which discusses about the similar issue and see if it helps:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-powerpoint/powerpoint-2010-images-cannot-currently-be/fdbb3cb0-8d0c-4ff0-ba70-da63c182647d

    Reply with the result and I'll be happy to help you further.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments