KB2553154 Breaks COM and Active X controls in Excel

Anonymous
2014-12-10T14:28:48+00:00

Hi

The last windows update batch contained update KB2553154 for office 32 bit.

This update breaks all COM and Active x controls in Excel (i.e. buttons, combo boxes etc.). Like many businesses we use Excel with these controls extensively and this update is crippling Excel for our users.

We have installed and uninstalled it on a number of machines both Windows 7 and Windows 8 and have proved this update is causing the issue.

PLEASE Microsoft withdraw or fix this update we can hardly go around all our pc's worldwide and manually uninstalling it.

Regards

A customer wondering if you test your updates before releasing them

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2014-12-10T14:49:07+00:00

Quit Excel.

Start Windows Explorer.

Select the system drive (usually C:).

Use the Search box to search for *.exd

Delete all found files.

(Thanks to Excel MVP RoryA for this tip)

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-10-18T19:07:46+00:00

I know that this is way beyond when you posted this but I was able to fix this problem by updating Microsoft Office to the latest service pack. Then installing excel2010-kb2956142-fullfile-x86-glb.exe for Office 2010 andexcel2013-kb2956145-fullfile-x86-glb.exe for Office 2013. Hope this might help out someone else out there trying to figure out this problem.  Also this page has some information on fixes as well. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3017349

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-23T15:56:27+00:00

    Make sure Excel 2013 is fully updated (need version 15.0.4675.1003).  Then repeat closing excel, deleting .EXD files, and re-opening Excel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-23T16:07:29+00:00

    I received a solution from the IT team at my work. They sent me a .bat file and had me run it. It looks like it uninstalled the MS update responsible for the errors. After they ran it, it works great and I rolled it out to my team and it worked for them as well. 

    The file was called: "Uninstall-MS14-068.bat"

    It's the only thing that worked for me out of all of the options offered to this point. 

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-23T20:05:50+00:00

    Make sure Excel 2013 is fully updated (need version 15.0.4675.1003).  Then repeat closing excel, deleting .EXD files, and re-opening Excel.  

    I had to uninstall and reinstall office so that it would update, but after getting it to the .1003 version deleting the .exd files seems to have worked...

    This particular file I've been working on is going out to be distributed among a group. I guess I'll have to include instructions for them.

    Thanks for the help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments