A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Bizarre solution, but I toggled Design Mode on, hit Save, and it worked!
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have a dual-boot laptop and desktop, each w/Office 2010 on Windows 7 and Office 2013 in Windows 8.1 .
On both computers, in Excel 2013 [win 8.1], when I make any changes to a file dialog box with "Calculation ..." as outlined in the title of this msg appears.
If I click Yes, the box just reappears with every click.
If I click No, nothing happens and the file is not saved.
Nothing else can be done, and I need to exit the file without saving.
This occurs *after* making numerous changes to sophisticated files, so has become a major problem.
The workaround on both computers -- use the same files in Office 2010 in Windows 7, and the issue does not occur. Ever.
Currently Office 2013 is not usable due to this issue.
Please advise as to the problem, and especially the solution.
Thank you,
- Mik
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Bizarre solution, but I toggled Design Mode on, hit Save, and it worked!
No, it just happened again and the fix didn't work this time.
But I did something else that fixed it. I removed some conditional formatting rules that were based on a custom function. These rules weren't really working anyways. When I scrolled around the formatting would sometimes turn on and sometimes turn off. This conditional formatting was working in previous versions of office.
The way I figure these things out is by saving it to a temporary file and deleting different sheets until it saved. Then I removed different columns until it saved. So I can find out which bits are causing the problem.
I tried the other fix and it did not work for me. This fix did. It appears the calculation issue stems from the conditional formatting. That's unfortunate.
Thanks, I turned off recalculate before saving and it works