Excel 2013 "Calculation is incomplete. Recalculate before saving?"

Anonymous
2014-01-02T22:52:06+00:00

I have a dual-boot laptop and desktop, each w/Office 2010 on Windows 7 and Office 2013 in Windows 8.1 .


On both computers, in Excel 2013 [win 8.1], when I make any changes to a file dialog box with "Calculation ..." as outlined in the title of this msg appears.

If I click Yes, the box just reappears with every click.

If I click No, nothing happens and the file is not saved.

Nothing else can be done, and I need to exit the file without saving.


This occurs *after* making numerous changes to sophisticated files, so has become a major problem.


The workaround on both computers -- use the same files in Office 2010 in Windows 7, and the issue does not occur. Ever.


Currently Office 2013 is not usable due to this issue.

Please advise as to the problem, and especially the solution.


Thank you,

- Mik




Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-18T09:40:56+00:00

    Some observations which may have something to do with the problem.

    a) I had the same issue with a very simple conditional format - 4 rules setting the background colour of a column of cells depending on the text in the cell. It has always annoyed me that copying and pasting rows in this sheet does not use the original conditional format range =$A:$A) but generates 4 new conditional format rules for the pasted row with range =$A$122, and generates a new range =$A$1:$A$121;$A$123:$A$1048576 on the 4 original rules. After six months of copy/pasting rows there were an awful lot of rules. That may have been the cause of my problem.

    b) Before I cleaned up I noticed that the "Stop If True" checkbox was not activated on most of the rules. That could have been the cause of my problem too.

    c) The error started occurring after considerable changes to my VBA code, but none on the sheet with conditional formatting. I experience Excel 2013 running  into odd sorts of issues like this, and usually get around them by rebooting W8.

    Thanks to you guys for this thread - it helped me get round my issue very quickly, as my conditional formatting was easy to clear.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-05T07:43:59+00:00

    I'm venting: 2013 is hinky imo.  It goes down for almost an entire weekend(?).  I'm done complaining.

    If anyone is looking for a solution in 2013, I used the following formula to conditional format, and it appears to solve the issue for me.  It doesn't work in 2010, but if you need it for 2013, try it:

    =IF((LEFT(FORMULATEXT(SomeCell),1)="="), True, False)

    What a pain and waste of time.

    This the clue that made me realize that my "IsFormula" function had been causing issues for a long time! Thanks so much for sharing !!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-28T08:16:05+00:00

    HI mik, 

    i have read your all discussion. The same problem i had. The easiest solution of this error to just save this file in macro enable book and then go to option formula tab and check on manual and un check the recalculate book before saving. Your File will be saved with out of any error.

    Hope this Will Help You 

    MaK-DoM_Ali

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-13T13:53:07+00:00

    Hi,

    Any news about the bug fixing? Has Microsoft released a fix for this issue?

    Thanks

    Carlo

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-13T19:17:15+00:00

    Exact same problem, and was preventing me from using my existing sheet. 

    • Also has .xlsm homebrew macros and many conditional formatting cells.
    • Conditions do not reference macros directly, but reference cells which contain macros formula.
    • As previously mentioned, setting CALC to MANUAL (not on save) is a work-around.  Having it on auto-calculate while using the sheet would routinely also crash the entire workbook, so now I must leave auto-calculate set to MANUAL.

    Not super cool.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments