Excel 2013 "Calculation is incomplete. Recalculate before saving?"

Anonymous
2014-01-02T22:52:06+00:00

I have a dual-boot laptop and desktop, each w/Office 2010 on Windows 7 and Office 2013 in Windows 8.1 .


On both computers, in Excel 2013 [win 8.1], when I make any changes to a file dialog box with "Calculation ..." as outlined in the title of this msg appears.

If I click Yes, the box just reappears with every click.

If I click No, nothing happens and the file is not saved.

Nothing else can be done, and I need to exit the file without saving.


This occurs *after* making numerous changes to sophisticated files, so has become a major problem.


The workaround on both computers -- use the same files in Office 2010 in Windows 7, and the issue does not occur. Ever.


Currently Office 2013 is not usable due to this issue.

Please advise as to the problem, and especially the solution.


Thank you,

- Mik




Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-06T16:39:00+00:00

    I have the same problem with only one page in a macros workbook that a coworker built in 2010....it only happens on tab. I am thinking it is one type of formula that excel 2013 does not like

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T13:39:48+00:00

    I have Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013 running on my same box.

    I have 6000+ excel files that have evolved templates over the past decade.

    This problem only happens to me when I open files that have the latest version of my conditional formatting template in Excel 2013. If I open the same file in 2010 I have no problems.

    It is a huge PITA and I will not roll out Excel 2013 to the company until it is fixed. If I had the time I would disable the conditional formatting formula's one by one to try to figure out the problem. Unfortunately I do not have the time. I will happily send the template to Microsoft and let someone in India or the Philippines figure out though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-16T06:40:21+00:00

    This was my problem.

    When I had auto calculation on, and I clicked "save", it kept on asking me 

    "Calculation is incomplete. Recalculate before saving?"

    And I couldn't get past that no matter how many times I clicked.

    I fixed it up by unticking auto calculation.  And going to the recent sheets that I changed and on the "formulas" ribbon, clicked "calculate sheet".  The "calculate" button did nothing, but "calculate sheet" fixed it.

    Then turned back on the auto calculation and clicked save and it didn't ask me that any more.

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-16T15:21:21+00:00

    Thanks.

    Did your solution fix it permanently?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-07-26T12:16:13+00:00

    No, it just happened again and the fix didn't work this time.

    But I did something else that fixed it.  I removed some conditional formatting rules that were based on a custom function.  These rules weren't really working anyways.  When I scrolled around the formatting would sometimes turn on and sometimes turn off.  This conditional formatting was working in previous versions of office.

    The way I figure these things out is by saving it to a temporary file and deleting different sheets until it saved.  Then I removed different columns until it saved.  So I can find out which bits are causing the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments