Excel 2013 "Calculation is incomplete. Recalculate before saving?"

Anonymous
2014-01-02T22:52:06+00:00

I have a dual-boot laptop and desktop, each w/Office 2010 on Windows 7 and Office 2013 in Windows 8.1 .


On both computers, in Excel 2013 [win 8.1], when I make any changes to a file dialog box with "Calculation ..." as outlined in the title of this msg appears.

If I click Yes, the box just reappears with every click.

If I click No, nothing happens and the file is not saved.

Nothing else can be done, and I need to exit the file without saving.


This occurs *after* making numerous changes to sophisticated files, so has become a major problem.


The workaround on both computers -- use the same files in Office 2010 in Windows 7, and the issue does not occur. Ever.


Currently Office 2013 is not usable due to this issue.

Please advise as to the problem, and especially the solution.


Thank you,

- Mik




Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-03T11:06:44+00:00

    Hi Mik,

    Before we proceed I would require some more information to assist you better.

    Does the issue occur with all Excel files or a particular file?

    Also mention the format of Excel file? Is it .xls or .xlsx format?

    Let us refer to the following thread which discusses a similar issue and check if it helps:

    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/f7a0238f-f454-4760-a255-a16fc66b7aac/incomplete-calculation-recalculate-before-save-help?forum=exceldev

    I hope this fixes the issue. If you still have issues, you may reply and we’ll be happy to help you.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-03T17:03:14+00:00

    Don't think it occurs w/every file.

    It occurs with large files that have links,  .xlsm format.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-04T12:55:15+00:00

    Hello Mik,

    Thank you for replying.

    Did you check if Excel is using the Automatic Calculation mode?

    Ensure the Workbook Calculation is set to Automatic and then check. To do that, do the following:

    Click on File and then on Options.

    In the Excel Options window, click on Formulas.

    Under Calculation options, click to enable Automatic and then click on OK.

    Also since you are working on a Macro Enabled file, you may post your query in the Customization Community for better results.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/customize

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-04T14:25:50+00:00

    Yes, Auto Calc is always on.

    It is *not* an Auto Calc issue.

    This problem is specific to Excel 2013, I can't be the only person who is experiencing it.

    One example of when the problem occurs..

     - Two sheets are copied to a new workbook [Book1.xlsm] from a large file.

     - I hit CTRL-C to copy, then Paste Special/Values.

    As soon as I hit OK on the Paste Values, the "Calculation..." error happens.

    Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

     - Mik

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-04T10:26:56+00:00

    Yes, Auto Calc is always on.

    It is *not* an Auto Calc issue.

    This problem is specific to Excel 2013, I can't be the only person who is experiencing it.

    One example of when the problem occurs..

     - Two sheets are copied to a new workbook [Book1.xlsm] from a large file.

     - I hit CTRL-C to copy, then Paste Special/Values.

    As soon as I hit OK on the Paste Values, the "Calculation..." error happens.

    Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

     - Mik

    No you're not. It is driving me crazy too. Sometimes I can just save a sheet without problems, sometimes I keep getting this error. The fun thing? Calculations are actually complete.

    Jan

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments