Excel 2013 "Calculation is incomplete. Recalculate before saving?"

Anonymous
2014-01-02T22:52:06+00:00

I have a dual-boot laptop and desktop, each w/Office 2010 on Windows 7 and Office 2013 in Windows 8.1 .


On both computers, in Excel 2013 [win 8.1], when I make any changes to a file dialog box with "Calculation ..." as outlined in the title of this msg appears.

If I click Yes, the box just reappears with every click.

If I click No, nothing happens and the file is not saved.

Nothing else can be done, and I need to exit the file without saving.


This occurs *after* making numerous changes to sophisticated files, so has become a major problem.


The workaround on both computers -- use the same files in Office 2010 in Windows 7, and the issue does not occur. Ever.


Currently Office 2013 is not usable due to this issue.

Please advise as to the problem, and especially the solution.


Thank you,

- Mik




Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-16T06:40:21+00:00

    This was my problem.

    When I had auto calculation on, and I clicked "save", it kept on asking me 

    "Calculation is incomplete. Recalculate before saving?"

    And I couldn't get past that no matter how many times I clicked.

    I fixed it up by unticking auto calculation.  And going to the recent sheets that I changed and on the "formulas" ribbon, clicked "calculate sheet".  The "calculate" button did nothing, but "calculate sheet" fixed it.

    Then turned back on the auto calculation and clicked save and it didn't ask me that any more.

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T13:39:48+00:00

    I have Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013 running on my same box.

    I have 6000+ excel files that have evolved templates over the past decade.

    This problem only happens to me when I open files that have the latest version of my conditional formatting template in Excel 2013. If I open the same file in 2010 I have no problems.

    It is a huge PITA and I will not roll out Excel 2013 to the company until it is fixed. If I had the time I would disable the conditional formatting formula's one by one to try to figure out the problem. Unfortunately I do not have the time. I will happily send the template to Microsoft and let someone in India or the Philippines figure out though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-06T16:39:00+00:00

    I have the same problem with only one page in a macros workbook that a coworker built in 2010....it only happens on tab. I am thinking it is one type of formula that excel 2013 does not like

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-04T10:26:56+00:00

    Yes, Auto Calc is always on.

    It is *not* an Auto Calc issue.

    This problem is specific to Excel 2013, I can't be the only person who is experiencing it.

    One example of when the problem occurs..

     - Two sheets are copied to a new workbook [Book1.xlsm] from a large file.

     - I hit CTRL-C to copy, then Paste Special/Values.

    As soon as I hit OK on the Paste Values, the "Calculation..." error happens.

    Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

     - Mik

    No you're not. It is driving me crazy too. Sometimes I can just save a sheet without problems, sometimes I keep getting this error. The fun thing? Calculations are actually complete.

    Jan

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-01-04T14:25:50+00:00

    Yes, Auto Calc is always on.

    It is *not* an Auto Calc issue.

    This problem is specific to Excel 2013, I can't be the only person who is experiencing it.

    One example of when the problem occurs..

     - Two sheets are copied to a new workbook [Book1.xlsm] from a large file.

     - I hit CTRL-C to copy, then Paste Special/Values.

    As soon as I hit OK on the Paste Values, the "Calculation..." error happens.

    Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

     - Mik

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments