Excel 2013 "Calculation is incomplete. Recalculate before saving?"

Anonymous
2014-01-02T22:52:06+00:00

I have a dual-boot laptop and desktop, each w/Office 2010 on Windows 7 and Office 2013 in Windows 8.1 .


On both computers, in Excel 2013 [win 8.1], when I make any changes to a file dialog box with "Calculation ..." as outlined in the title of this msg appears.

If I click Yes, the box just reappears with every click.

If I click No, nothing happens and the file is not saved.

Nothing else can be done, and I need to exit the file without saving.


This occurs *after* making numerous changes to sophisticated files, so has become a major problem.


The workaround on both computers -- use the same files in Office 2010 in Windows 7, and the issue does not occur. Ever.


Currently Office 2013 is not usable due to this issue.

Please advise as to the problem, and especially the solution.


Thank you,

- Mik




Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-17T21:23:51+00:00

    The UDF is a simple "IsFormula".

    Function IsFormulaZ(c)

     IsFormulaZ = c.HasFormula

     End Function

    I have a column of calculations where sometimes somebody either hard-enters or deletes in one of the cells.

    When that happens, the cell is consequently shaded red via cond. formatting ... 

    =IsFormulaZ(R64)=FALSE

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-16T18:49:42+00:00

    I'm not convinced Excel 2013 will not support UDF calls in conditional formatting formulas, for that I would like to see a test workbook.

    UDF's are very sensitive to how they are programmed.  A badly written UDF can break the calculation train, even when just called from worksheets cells.

    Hence my question: what does the UDF look like. If you cannot share it, fair enough, but that also means we cannot troubleshoot the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-16T12:56:07+00:00

    Thanks. I cleaned up the function by declaring the return value properly as Double (previously it may return Double or String), but that alone (?) did also not yet work.

    I found another conditional Formatting in my sheet which also referred to a custom function and after changing it to a conditional formatting which depends on a cell, the Bug seems to be gone.

    In Conclusion: Excel2013 does not support own VBA-Functions in conditional formatting anymore :(

    Work around: Use own function to calculate relevant things in cells and refer with the conditional formatting to these cells. Not quite sure whether that always solves the problem, but it solved my problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2014-09-15T15:21:08+00:00

    I'd be interested in seeing the VBA functions code, perhaps it contains logic that can be improved so 2013 will also work with it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments