Excel 2013 "Calculation is incomplete. Recalculate before saving?"

Anonymous
2014-01-02T22:52:06+00:00

I have a dual-boot laptop and desktop, each w/Office 2010 on Windows 7 and Office 2013 in Windows 8.1 .


On both computers, in Excel 2013 [win 8.1], when I make any changes to a file dialog box with "Calculation ..." as outlined in the title of this msg appears.

If I click Yes, the box just reappears with every click.

If I click No, nothing happens and the file is not saved.

Nothing else can be done, and I need to exit the file without saving.


This occurs *after* making numerous changes to sophisticated files, so has become a major problem.


The workaround on both computers -- use the same files in Office 2010 in Windows 7, and the issue does not occur. Ever.


Currently Office 2013 is not usable due to this issue.

Please advise as to the problem, and especially the solution.


Thank you,

- Mik




Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-16T15:21:21+00:00

    Thanks.

    Did your solution fix it permanently?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-04T10:26:56+00:00

    Yes, Auto Calc is always on.

    It is *not* an Auto Calc issue.

    This problem is specific to Excel 2013, I can't be the only person who is experiencing it.

    One example of when the problem occurs..

     - Two sheets are copied to a new workbook [Book1.xlsm] from a large file.

     - I hit CTRL-C to copy, then Paste Special/Values.

    As soon as I hit OK on the Paste Values, the "Calculation..." error happens.

    Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

     - Mik

    No you're not. It is driving me crazy too. Sometimes I can just save a sheet without problems, sometimes I keep getting this error. The fun thing? Calculations are actually complete.

    Jan

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-18T04:19:16+00:00

    That is *exactly* why it fails. Rewrite your UDF to:

    Function IsFormulaZ(c)

     IsFormulaZ = (Left(c.Formula, 1) = "=")

     End Function

    For some odd reason, HasFormula does not work well in UDF's called from cells or Conditional formatting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-15T14:23:37+00:00

    Although helpful in the sense that it properly analyses the problem, I cannot work around it so easily, so I agree with the last line of the post: Please Fix!

    I use a simple trick that used to work like a charm to make fields that can be filled in stand out. I created a VBA function that returns true if the cell passed as argument is locked and then create a conditional formatting rule using this function to change the background color for each locked cell. Obviously I cannot easily do this with an intermediate cell.

    So again: Please Fix!

    Jan

    Lets assume A2 is the Top-Left most cell you want the conditional Formatting to be applied to, the just write in the formula "=A1<>""" or "=A1=""" 

    Then apply this to all the ranges you need e.g. $A$1,$A$3,$B$2,$B$5:$C$9 (choose them with pressed CTRL)

    And the formatting will work without custom VBA-Function.

    BTW: I found that if the workbook is open and the bug is active, that the Error when saving also comes when I try to save a different open workbook! The other workbook is having (almost) no formatting and just a few simple charts and no VBA. Then I turn the bug off again in the conditional formatting workbook (as described previously) and then I can save the normal workbook. WTF?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T13:39:48+00:00

    I have Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013 running on my same box.

    I have 6000+ excel files that have evolved templates over the past decade.

    This problem only happens to me when I open files that have the latest version of my conditional formatting template in Excel 2013. If I open the same file in 2010 I have no problems.

    It is a huge PITA and I will not roll out Excel 2013 to the company until it is fixed. If I had the time I would disable the conditional formatting formula's one by one to try to figure out the problem. Unfortunately I do not have the time. I will happily send the template to Microsoft and let someone in India or the Philippines figure out though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments