A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Hi. Still no solution that works for everyone, it seems. And zero interest from Microsoft in knowing about this serious bug.
I'm quite new to Excel, and only just started using PivotTables, so to run into this problem so soon is rather disappointing. Some more details...
- I'm using Excel 2016 (365) without Power Pivot add-in, in Windows 10.
- My worksheet has about a dozen pivot tables, all with the same data source, namely a data table located in the same file, called "Table1". There are no external data sources.
- When I save my workbook (e.g."Survey v0.4.xlsx") and re-open it, I find that the pivot tables have had their data source changed from "Table1" to "'Survey v0.4.xlsx'!Table1" (double quotes added by me).
- When I subsequently save the file under another name (e.g. as "Survey v0.5.xlsx") and re-open it, I get some warning messages associated with the fact that I am now using an external data source. And changes to the data in Table1 of the current file will no longer be reflected in the pivot tables (when refreshed), because they're getting their data from the old file.
- I've tried various suggested workarounds, without success. I can restore the source to "Table1" by manually editing out the file reference, or using a macro. But the next time I save the file the problem recurs.
- Some people seem to have the whole file path included in the source reference (in square brackets), so they can't even move the file to another folder while keeping the same file name. (I think this may be because their data is in a simple range rather than a table.) Fortunately for me, I don't have that problem. However, I'm making this workbook for other people, and I don't want to have to tell them that they mustn't save the file under another name.
There seems to be something pseudo-random about the bug, so that for some people the problem goes away when they make a certain change, but it may come back later, while other people get no benefit from the same change. Unfortunately this causes a lot of frustration as people keep reporting they've found a solution, but it doesn't work for other people.