Data Source path in Pivot Table changes to absolute on its own

Anonymous
2013-08-19T15:32:36+00:00

Hello.

I have a .XLSX file, that was created long time ago (I don't even know in which Office version, but definitely not 2013), and maybe even was a .XLS file at first.

So it's a 4 MB file with 16 Sheets and 8 Pivot Tables.

All of the Pivot Tables use other sheets from the same file as Data Source.

Data Source for some of them look like this: 'Sheet3'!$A:$E

Everything is fine when I save the file, and open it from saved file. 

But as soon as I try to move the file elsewhere, or rename it, or email it - all Data Source paths change to something like this: '\Users\Sergii_Litnevskyi\Desktop\New folder[FileName.xlsx]Sheet3'!$A:$E

And it happens with all Pivot Tables. The problem is that it links to an old file path, where the file does not exist anymore. And it links to an external file, which is not what I want.

If I Save As and select different path and filename - then it works fine. So it's a workaround for renaming and moving files, but not for sending them to other persons.

I've read some threads, and people recommend disabling "Save external link values", but it does not help. It is already turned off in my office, but it keeps acting weird. 

So what I need is: Save the file, close it, rename it, move it to other place, send it over email as attachment. And then I want to have the same Data Source path in my PivotTables as I had before I saved the file. How can I do it?

My Office version: Microsoft Excel 2013 (15.0.4454.1503) MSO (15.0.4517.1005) 32-bit

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-21T14:16:31+00:00

    I also agree...this is a pain the you know what...it did not always work this way...definitely a bug...I am going to try to model suggestion for now

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-05T17:14:26+00:00

    It is very annoying to have these kind of problems due to "intelligent behaviour" of Excel

    Please MS solve the issue.

    By the way, some files of mine work fine and others don't. 

    I even have a file where one pivot changes and another doesn´t

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-10T22:05:39+00:00

    OK, this so far has been the only fix.  Start with a document that was created in an old version of EXcel.  Can SOMEONE FROM MICROSOFT comment on this as it appears to be a major bug and the work around from Microsoft on earlier post only work for a minute and then revert back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-10T19:33:50+00:00

    Sorry I think I spoke too soon.  It worked but then it was edited and saved on another machine and the links came back.  I think this is a serious BUG with MSFT and right now I was able to take an old old excel 2007 or 2003 doc and remove all of the sheets and start from scratch and so far the filename or path do not persist in the data source for the pivot table.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-10T18:46:01+00:00

    Awesome!

    I've tried it and it works.

    In Office 365, it's File - Check for issues -  Inspect Document

    Thanks Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments