Cannot resize table columns in word 2013

Anonymous
2015-01-15T19:51:53+00:00

I have just recently started using MS Office 2013. In the past, it was EASY to create a table and then highlight a column and hover over the vertical line between columns, the mouse pointer would change to the nifty little arrow line arrow pointer, and then you could drag the column and change its width. it was easy, intuitive, simple, -- a total no-brainer.

Now in Word 2013, that no longer works. I cannot drag the column widths, and I cannot change the width at all for the columns in my table.

I have looked for settings in many places, but I cannot seem to get the table to allow me to drag and resize the columns in any way.

It is very annoying that such simple intuitive functionality from past versions does not work anymore in Office 2013, Word 2013.

Stefan's answer is only a partial answer. no idea why the tables were locked, but the long urls was a side issue related issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-05-19T05:42:57+00:00

    If you send me a copy of the document, referencing this thread in the covering email message and indicating the version of Office that you are using, I will investigate the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-07-12T18:11:12+00:00

    I was having a similar issue in Office 2016.  Two column table and I could not get the first column to resize down beyond a certain point.  No paragraph marks or anything inside the column.   I was able to resolve it by selecting the column going to Layout (under Table Tools), then Properties, then on the Column table I noticed there was a "Preferred width" option that was checked.  By unchecking it, I was able to get my column to resize down.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-09T17:25:44+00:00

    this seems to "fix" the problem, so I can continue using my template (for another day). But I don't see this a long term viable solution. Am anxiously awaiting for a real solution (fix!) from Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-16T22:57:38+00:00

    This may or not not be related to your issue, but if you are trying to get rid of extra space at the bottom of a row and can't, it is likely related to paragraph spacing. Yes, I know, there are likely no paragraph marks in your table which makes this solution completely and utterly counter intuitive (YooHoo... Microsoft: Are you listening?) 

    Follow these steps:

    1. Click anywhere in your table
    2. Press : ctrl+A (select all)
    3. Go to the Home Tab.
    4. In the Paragraph box click little arrow at bottom left.
    5. The Paragraph window opens on the Indents and Spacing tab.
    6. Go down to spacing Spacing and tick the box "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style"
    7. Just above that, find the Afterline
      1. 1st box-enter 0 (zero)
      2. 2nd box-choose At least
      3. 3rd box ("At")-choose smallest point size you've used (probably 12 pt)
    8. Click OK.

    You may need to go back to table properties and fiddle with those settings and by now it's likely time to freshen up your drink!!!! 

    Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-11-17T07:21:37+00:00

    Thanks for you message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments