Cannot resize table columns in word 2013

Anonymous
2015-01-15T19:51:53+00:00

I have just recently started using MS Office 2013. In the past, it was EASY to create a table and then highlight a column and hover over the vertical line between columns, the mouse pointer would change to the nifty little arrow line arrow pointer, and then you could drag the column and change its width. it was easy, intuitive, simple, -- a total no-brainer.

Now in Word 2013, that no longer works. I cannot drag the column widths, and I cannot change the width at all for the columns in my table.

I have looked for settings in many places, but I cannot seem to get the table to allow me to drag and resize the columns in any way.

It is very annoying that such simple intuitive functionality from past versions does not work anymore in Office 2013, Word 2013.

Stefan's answer is only a partial answer. no idea why the tables were locked, but the long urls was a side issue related issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-11-08T15:23:34+00:00

    I have no problem dragging column borders here. Can you change the widths in the Table Properties dialog box?

    please see my post from today in order to replicate this issue...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-11-08T14:18:47+00:00

    This is the exact issue we are currently experiencing.  

    This issue occurs under the following conditions:

    • Office 2016
    • In page layout dialog....
      • Odd and Even pages checked.
      • Left and right margins set to different measurements from each other.
      • Multiple pages set to Normal.
    • In document View set to Print view.

    Table column resizing behaves correctly for tables on primary pages but not for tables on the even pages.  

    Sometimes the columns cannot be adjusted at all and at other times dragging a column results in the adjacent column resizing and not the one that was dragged.

    I have also noticed that the ruler does not display or behave correctly for the tables on the even pages.  It appears to skew off to one side as if it has a rather large indent/outdent added to it.

    If the left and right margins are set equal to each other or the multiple pages in the page layout dialog is set to 'Mirrored Margins' then the tables work as expected.

    Workarounds to allow table columns to be adjusted on the even pages include :

    • adding a temporary page break to force tables onto a primary page, adjust the columns then remove the page break.
    • unchecking the odd & even pages in page layout dialog, adjust the columns then recheck the odd & even setting.
    • switching the  view to a different mode, such as outline or normal, adjust the columns then changing the view back.

    This is far from ideal and most certainly not a fix to what  evidently appears to be a bug.  And is certainly not something we like to provide to our clients as a solution to the problem.

    How can this issue get raised as a bug with microsoft???

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-28T19:01:56+00:00

    This has been driving me nuts, as well. I just stumbled on a fix. Put the document into Web Layout. Tables and Table Columns can be resized. The fixes remain when put the doc back into Page Layout mode. I have no idea why this works and I never use Web Layout, so I put it down to a fat-finger mistake that works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-25T14:48:18+00:00

    What I did (randomly) and worked is to try to grip the column border from the bottom. I mean if the row width is high, then gripping the vertical column boundary from its bottom in the same row, seems to allow resizing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-07-10T17:03:14+00:00

    Select the entire table, then right click and select 'Distribute columns evenly'.

    Once this is done you should be able to re-size the columns as you wish.

    I had same problem - this fix worked a treat.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments