Cannot resize table columns in word 2013

Anonymous
2015-01-15T19:51:53+00:00

I have just recently started using MS Office 2013. In the past, it was EASY to create a table and then highlight a column and hover over the vertical line between columns, the mouse pointer would change to the nifty little arrow line arrow pointer, and then you could drag the column and change its width. it was easy, intuitive, simple, -- a total no-brainer.

Now in Word 2013, that no longer works. I cannot drag the column widths, and I cannot change the width at all for the columns in my table.

I have looked for settings in many places, but I cannot seem to get the table to allow me to drag and resize the columns in any way.

It is very annoying that such simple intuitive functionality from past versions does not work anymore in Office 2013, Word 2013.

Stefan's answer is only a partial answer. no idea why the tables were locked, but the long urls was a side issue related issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-05-18T17:59:32+00:00

    I am still having this problem. I have been adding the page break, updating the table and then removing it for awhile but this is going to be hard to explain to people when I offer them a template that doesn't work on all pages.

    Microsoft team - is there an ETA when this will be fixed? Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-15T08:01:59+00:00

    It works and now I know how to solve this problem. But it's a strange way. Microsoft... Why is this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-01T09:25:20+00:00

    Well done, this really helps! Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-02T11:25:20+00:00

    Great tip, but a rather bizarre solution.

    thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-01-25T02:03:15+00:00

    If you send me a copy of the document, referencing this thread in the covering email message, I will investigate the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments