Why does the blinking I-beam cursor keep disappearing when editing text inside tables in Word 2011?

Anonymous
2015-01-26T19:47:56+00:00

Currently in Word 2011 14.4.7 on OS X 10.10.1 (but the problem has existed forever).

Whenever I edit a Word document containing tables with text in the table cells, once the blinking I-beam cursor is inside table cells, it tends to stop blinking and disappear altogether for entire seconds on end. This makes it very difficult to keep track of where one's cursor actually is. 

Why does this keep happening?

Same thing in text boxes and other "text within a frame" contexts.

Pierre Igot

--

BETALOGUE - Weblog at http://www.betalogue.com | @betalogue

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-10T13:01:48+00:00

    Even with the faster blink rate, I still get the disappearing act.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-02T14:36:59+00:00

    Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try. Suspect it won't prevent cursor from disappearing, but might help make it come back faster.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-02T12:16:35+00:00

    Try these instructions to change the cursor blink rate. It might make your problem more bearable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-30T18:30:28+00:00

    I notice the same problem in Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Dreamweaver, and when filling in forms on web pages. I think it's a characteristic of Mac OS X.

    No way. This is a Word-specific problem and it's a real problem. 

    Pierre

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2015-01-30T17:28:49+00:00

    I notice the same problem in Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Dreamweaver, and when filling in forms on web pages. I think it's a characteristic of Mac OS X.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments