Why does the blinking I-beam cursor keep disappearing when editing text inside tables in Word 2011?

Anonymous
2015-01-26T19:47:56+00:00

Currently in Word 2011 14.4.7 on OS X 10.10.1 (but the problem has existed forever).

Whenever I edit a Word document containing tables with text in the table cells, once the blinking I-beam cursor is inside table cells, it tends to stop blinking and disappear altogether for entire seconds on end. This makes it very difficult to keep track of where one's cursor actually is. 

Why does this keep happening?

Same thing in text boxes and other "text within a frame" contexts.

Pierre Igot

--

BETALOGUE - Weblog at http://www.betalogue.com | @betalogue

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-13T15:37:28+00:00

    I am not trying to prove anyone wrong. I'd just like someone to look at the movie recorded on this page:

    http://www.betalogue.com/2011/03/07/word2011-cursor/

    and tell me that, yes, something is wrong here, something that is unique to Word (no other application has this problem) and needs to be fixed.

    But it's not my job to spend hours doing various tests to establish what's going on here. I provide the evidence. Someone at Microsoft needs to take responsibility.

    And there are enough reports out there to show that I am NOT the only one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-13T15:04:04+00:00

    MVP's (Microsoft Valuable Persons) Donate their time. Only difference between MVP's and average users. They have shown through various investigation or verification their credentials in the Field they volunteer for. The only perk they get is access to a knowledge base Microsoft keeps to research a Problem. They do not get paid one red cent.  They like like other average users, that volunteer here are only doing so because they either or both, enjoy doing so and get personal satisfaction in the knowledge That they have helped some one. 

    Office Mac is a good Program I myself have used WORD all the way back to Version 6 (1994) and Excel all the way back to version 5 (1994). But yes it has deficiencies. Partly caused by Funding methods for R & D. 

    The Bean Counters base R & D Money on individual sales of Product, instead of total sales of product from all Platforms used. Mac's have a disadvantage in Office was developed first for DOS. And therefore the installed base of users are naturally much larger. Plus Mr Gates on going feud with Steve Jobs and Apple, at one point making every effort to destroy Apple, didn't help either. Though this bases is shrinking fast. What with the on going Malware issues and complexity. WE will eventually have parity. And when we have parity the funding will level off. 

    Though Daniel has suggested various things to try, you appear determined to prove Daniel wrong or make fun rather than Trying suggestions. Others here have said they don't have the issues. 

    AS much as it would appear so to you, Daniel didn't write, or design Word or Excel or PowerPoint.  In fact if you can Research all the way back to day one you will Discover Microsoft and Gates were not responsible for the original design. They took shortcuts They threw money at the outset and Bought a Product hired perhaps the original Author (usually not) and worked the bugs out, named the product, and then put out on market under the name they give it after purchase. The most recent new from ground up product they put out under office outlook 2011 which is based on Apple code. Not the binary code underpinning with roots all the way back to the first DOS Computer. The Rest have just had patches of code to allow running on current systems. 

    Does it mean you have no problem. No!  It means so far, you appear to be, the only one with this unique problem. 

    I can see why Daniel is getting a little frustrated. Should he have added an emoticon indicate he was venting. Perhaps. 

    But users questions rarely if ever, not taken serious. If you would take a few days and Read all the post That comes to the Office Mac forums you to would wonder why we all don't throw our hands up run away.

    _________

    Disclaimer:

    The opinions / replies / answers given here, are solely mine, and mine alone. It does not necessarily reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator. Nor, does it reflect any possible position held by Microsoft or their employees.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-13T13:46:05+00:00

    That's what I figured. Thanks for confirming.

    Next thing I know, you're going to accuse me of being an ungrateful Word user who attacked you "personally" because I dared question the motives of MVPs.

    A simple question: What exactly is in it for you?

    I'd really like to know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-13T13:42:03+00:00

    I have been writing about this problem since 2004:

    http://www.betalogue.com/2004/06/28/word-2004-more-on-disappearing-i-beam-cursor/

    The scenario described in this post is the first manifestation of it. Since then, it's been spreading to other areas, including tables, text frames, etc.

    http://www.betalogue.com/index.php?s=disappearing+cursor

    But of course, it's all my imagination and there isn't a single other Word user in the world who has the same problem.

    Ahem.

    It seems to me that there are enough reports of this problem here and elsewhere online by enough users to warrant proper investigation and a fix by Microsoft. 

    My own work is done.

    Pierre

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-02-13T07:57:42+00:00

    I mean, Safe Boot to prove that the cursor is still disappearing? Give me a break. Next thing I know, you'll ask me to go to the North Pole with my computer and see if I can reproduce the problem there

    No, I'd rather you went to the North Pole and stayed there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments