Repeat header row at the top of each page does not work as expected...

Anonymous
2013-10-27T14:55:55+00:00

I have tried to use the table properties option checkbox reading Repeat as header row at the top of each page, however, the header row just does not appear at the top of each page.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2013-10-27T15:23:13+00:00

To be a repeating header row, the row must be the first row of the table (multiple rows can be selected, but they must include the first and be contiguous. (Make sure, however, that you don't have the entire table selected when you designate a row as the header row.)

In addition, the table must have text wrapping set to None (Tabletab of Table Properties).

If the table contains a manual page break, the header will not repeat. You can, however, insert a page break without breaking the table by formatting a row as "Page break before" (on the Line and Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog).

Note that this applies only to tables. If you want a page header, you need to add a header to the page itself.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-21T19:45:22+00:00

    Well, I just went through the whole recommended procedure again and it worked.  I made sure that when I highlighted the first row I did not highlight off to the side of the row, just highlighted within the box.  Could that be the critical difference?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-01T09:17:27+00:00

    Thank you so much, Stefan Blom.  This turned out to be the source of my problem! 

    Unfortunately, removing the page break (which I did with Search/Replace) did not rejoin my two tables into one table.  After a few frustrating minutes I finally just had to bite the bullet and a new document and restart the table from there.  Luckily I could block-and-copy the table (I'd originally created it on Google Docs) and adjust it from there.

    Anyway, many thanks to you, for the problem is resolved and I now have a nice running header on every page!

    -- Laura

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2014-06-01T09:22:26+00:00

    Thank you so much, Stefan Blom.  This turned out to be the source of my problem! 

    Unfortunately, removing the page break (which I did with Search/Replace) did not rejoin my two tables into one table.  After a few frustrating minutes I finally just had to bite the bullet and a new document and restart the table from there.  Luckily I could block-and-copy the table (I'd originally created it on Google Docs) and adjust it from there.

    Anyway, many thanks to you, for the problem is resolved and I now have a nice running header on every page!

    -- Laura

    Just a short note. All conversion methods for doruments created in one word processing program to another are imperfect. The document that results will be filled with formatting anomalies like the one that caused your problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-01T09:32:46+00:00

    Dear Charles Kenyon,

    Your statement is true in general, but I would like to clarify that the transfer from Google Docs was not at the root of my problem.  The header was transferring over to the 2nd page until I noticed that the break was coming at an awkward spot, and inserted a hard page break in the table.

    I just wanted this fact to be on the record:  Once you insert a page break into a table, that table becomes two tables in MS Word's mind.  And deleting the page break does not resolve the problem (does not reunite the tables).

    At least, that was my experience (in Windows 7) tonight!

    Laura

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments