Repeat header row at the top of each page does not work as expected...

Anonymous
2013-10-27T14:55:55+00:00

I have tried to use the table properties option checkbox reading Repeat as header row at the top of each page, however, the header row just does not appear at the top of each page.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2013-10-27T15:23:13+00:00

To be a repeating header row, the row must be the first row of the table (multiple rows can be selected, but they must include the first and be contiguous. (Make sure, however, that you don't have the entire table selected when you designate a row as the header row.)

In addition, the table must have text wrapping set to None (Tabletab of Table Properties).

If the table contains a manual page break, the header will not repeat. You can, however, insert a page break without breaking the table by formatting a row as "Page break before" (on the Line and Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog).

Note that this applies only to tables. If you want a page header, you need to add a header to the page itself.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-11-27T12:09:27+00:00

    As far as I know, there is no workaround for the situation you are describing. You have to choose either repeated headings or a wrapped table.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-11-27T12:02:40+00:00

    Which text is it that you want to "break across pages"?  Are you saying that you want the text to "flow around" a table that will occupy more than one page?  That is not something that can be done in Word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-27T10:55:18+00:00

    Okay so my issue is that if I want the text to break across pages I need to change the text wrapping to "around" but if I want my header to repeat I cant to change my text wrapping to 'non'

    How can I get BOTH! This is so frustrating. I have been at it for a few days now and I need both to work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-01T03:01:09+00:00

    Thank you to Suzanne Barnhill for your excellent and effective solution. I've never encountered this problem in previous versions of Word. I've been using Microsoft Word before Windows even existed, having started with Word 1.0 for DOS. I'm currently using Word 2010.

    The Repeat Header Row issue was resolved for me by setting Text Wrapping to None on the Table tab of Table Properties.

    You're a star, Suzanne!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments