My Word randomly capitalizes the letter "i" at the start of words, how do I get it to stop

Anonymous
2013-07-11T17:21:59+00:00

About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside.  I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-05T14:10:33+00:00

    This is likely caused by the settings for "predictive typing" of the tablet.

    No, doesn't do it in other apps. In fact, doesn't do it in Outlook. Just Word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-06-05T14:30:09+00:00

    In that case, make sure that the correct language formatting has been applied to text and check which AutoCorrect entries are defined in your installation of Word, for the selected language.

    The key here is that language is a property of text characters. For "everything" on language formatting, see http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/MasterSpellCheck.htm.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-05T14:33:47+00:00

    In that case, make sure that the correct language formatting has been applied to text and check which AutoCorrect entries are defined in your installation of Word.

    Thanks, but that was original my point: I can't find autocorrect entries in the app. It doesn't appear to exist. The language is correct.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-06-05T14:36:06+00:00

    Which operating system are you running on the tablet?

    Do you have an Office subscription or just some basic version of Office with limited functionality?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-06-05T14:47:48+00:00

    Which operating system are you running on the tablet?

    Do you have an Office subscription or just some basic version of Office with limited functionality?

    Yes, I have a subscription. Just updated the app in the Play store about an hour ago, but the issue persists.

    UPDATE: I had to use my computer's full version of Word to check the autocorrect options and remove the auto capitalization of "i" -- which, incidentally, is still annoying because now it won't auto capitalize if I actually want "I"... I tried adding "i[space]" into autocorrect instead, but it wouldn't accept it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments