My Word randomly capitalizes the letter "i" at the start of words, how do I get it to stop

Anonymous
2013-07-11T17:21:59+00:00

About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside.  I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T17:23:58+00:00

    Go to File, then Options (at the bottom) then pick Proofing on the left.

    See the screenshots below...Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T17:27:11+00:00

    Office 365 Business

    Build 8625.2139 

    I'm not sure if this is the same build I had when I had the trouble or if it has auto-updated since then...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T17:30:07+00:00

    Thanks for this, mine doesn't have the capital "I" in the place indicated in your screenshot in build 8730.2127 so no fix for me as yet

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T17:32:36+00:00

    Very strange but having looked at this and restarted Word (again) the problem has stopped

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-02-23T14:36:18+00:00

    I was also very frustrated with this bug and tried most of the suggestions on this page without success.

    The problem is not global, but document specific, in some cases paragraph specific! Some paragraphs have the problem some don't. It appeared for me in docs that had been edited by another user on a Mac, resulting in a change to some of the fonts (don't ask me why!)

    The solution (at least for me) turned out to be simple. Select all the text in the document and change the font to a standard Word font. (If you have many fonts in the doc by design, you may have to do this paragraph by paragraph.)

    Problem gone!

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments