My Word randomly capitalizes the letter "i" at the start of words, how do I get it to stop

Anonymous
2013-07-11T17:21:59+00:00

About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside.  I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-09T18:35:37+00:00

    That is indeed what is happening to me. (Or, as that sentence would likely appear in Word, "That is Indeed what is happening to me.")

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T16:04:29+00:00

    This is not a default setting. You must have added these words yourself.

    Nope - I have just installed Word on a new laptop this week and have never seen this problem until now but at the moment I am having the exact same issue with random capitalisation of "I" at the beginning of words.  Will attempt solution proposed by Podo121 (thanks)

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T16:11:25+00:00

    No way!

    Brand new computer running Word 2016 for the first time (prior to this computer I was running Word 2010 and did not have the problem). 

    I had to search the internet to even find where the AutoCorrect settings were!

    The "i" setting WAS a default (and a dumb one...)

    Hi Podo121 - I can't seem to find the setting you refer to please could you post a screen grab of the fix: new Word install this week and it is driving me insane having to correct this

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2017-12-19T16:22:12+00:00

    Version of Word?

    If 365 please give release or build number.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T16:36:05+00:00

    Version of Word?

    If 365 please give release or build number.

    I think that is****8730.2127 from what I can see in control panel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments