A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
No, brand new install, first time typing new document. I noticed it right away.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside. I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
No, brand new install, first time typing new document. I noticed it right away.
No, brand new install, first time typing new document. I noticed it right away.
A custom *.acl file could have been copied into Word's folder. Or perhaps the language of text is set to something other than you expect.
Which version of Office are you running?
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
I just changed my font from New York to all Times New Roman, saved; closed; reopened, and it stopped capitalizing all words that start with i. It really is a font issue. There seem to be a few that have this inherently in their programming and you can't change that about that font. You'll just have to switch fonts. Sorry.
I think I figured out what was going on. If you have a space to the right of the cursor and you type "i", it assumes it's a standalone word. So the problem occurs when I accidentally end up inserting text before a space. But the space may not be visible, of course. It's not really a bug: how is poor Word supposed to know that you don't mean "i" to be a word if there is a space both before and after. (I guess one solution would be to de-capitalize immediately as soon as you add some other letters.)
Deleting "i" from the autocorrect list solves this completely, of course.