My Word randomly capitalizes the letter "i" at the start of words, how do I get it to stop

Anonymous
2013-07-11T17:21:59+00:00

About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside.  I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-03-06T01:47:09+00:00

    It has come time to grasp at straws.

    Does this happen when you start Word in safe mode?

    You may have already said, but is this in one document or many?

    If many, are they based on the same template?

    BTW, not a cure, but Ctrl+Z can help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-05T22:29:52+00:00

    I do not know if you already know why, but it is because the pronoun I should always be capitalized and word does it for you.

    SIDE RANT, not directly related to the main topic

    I've found this kind of response to be really common here. I post occasionally because I do sometimes get helpful answers to questions. But what I also get, 100% reliably, a minimum of once per thread I start, is people answering a different question than I asked, suggesting things I clearly state I've already tried, or otherwise posting seemingly to show off their lack of reading comprehension skills.

    Often, these posts are worded in a really condescending way or assume incredibly basic misunderstandings on my part, too. Often I am "corrected" on concepts I demonstrate a better understanding of than the person responding, right in the post they're supposedly replying to. Which this is also an example of, maybe the most vivid one I've seen yet (though in this case I'm not the one directly on the receiving end).

    When I've pointed this out before, people are usually like "well this is a free service and the people who answer aren't paid to be here or connected to Microsoft". But that's just as true on Reddit, it's just as true on various other tech forums I go to, it was just as true on Usenet back in the day. And while this would occasionally happen in those places too, it was rare and frowned upon, not common and seemingly accepted. None of them had this issue to anywhere near the degree that answers.microsoft.com does. And when it did happen, you certainly didn't see people jumping in to defend it!

    I don't know what it is about this forum that makes replies like this so common here relative to other places, but it's obnoxious and I wish it would stop, or at least slow to the same trickle you get elsewhere.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more