My Word randomly capitalizes the letter "i" at the start of words, how do I get it to stop

Anonymous
2013-07-11T17:21:59+00:00

About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside.  I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-06-05T14:04:39+00:00

    This is likely caused by the settings for "predictive typing" of the tablet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-05T13:49:34+00:00

    Anyone know a solution for this on the mobile app for a tablet? I can't find a custom dictionary or any other auto-correct settings to adjust in the app, and yet somehow I've developed this exact same issue.

    It only works on first reference, i.e. if I type "in" it will automatically capitalize the i to "I" before I've even typed the n, and I will end up with "In." However, if I backspace to delete the auto-error and retype it, it often remains lower-case "in." No idea why this is happening or how it got started.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-05-30T12:32:06+00:00

    Which "above solution" was that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-29T23:50:13+00:00

    rubbish, who would put these words in manually? My word documents have only just started capitalising I in the middle of a sentence. The above solution fixed it straight away.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T08:00:59+00:00

    =

    A couple of thoughts.

    In the options category everyone is talking about, (File, options, proofing)

    Make sure your 'custom dictionaries' do not have  " i " as an entry.  Remove it if it does! (you may have to check all of the dictionaries in the top part)  This will let you proof the pronoun "i" if the next steps don't work.   

    That should make some grammar lurkers who didn't think you knew 4th grade grammar feel better.

    Then go to AutoCorrect  on the same proofing page, and see if the"i "has the rule. that says:

    "Replace i | I"    (as mentioned in the previously with nice pictures).

    Delete it, then re-enter it.   

    Open up a NEW  word  page, and see if this is happening.

    (or 'see If this Is still happening') 

    If not, then it may be fixed, try to type "when i am inside"

    hopefully this fixed your new sheets, and it corrected.

    If it is still a mess up, change the font on a new blank page, to anything that uses both upper and lower cases.  Try it again, 

    Hopefully that works!

    For  your previous documents entries-did you copy them from an older computer, or a page not written in your new computer?

    Change the font on one of those pages, and try to type again. 

    I had an "arial MT" word document from a professor, and It did It to me on all of his worksheets,

    I don't have the MT as a font option, but I changed it to arial (plain) and it let me type the words starting with the letter i without capitalizing them, but still fixed the pronoun.

    If you have old forms, that you NEED to use again and again, open one up, and go to the proofing page again, and click "recheck document".

    Any new entries should be correct- 

    BUT 

    to fix older ones.....

    Go to find/ replace, option at the far right of the home page of that word document; enter I in the find, then i in the replace.  Open the "more>>" options and check  "Match case"  correct your page for items you may have missed.  Do it one at a time, so you don't fix the first i-words in sentences.

    So it may be your font not converting to your new word.  

    Hope this helps someone out there

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments