My Word randomly capitalizes the letter "i" at the start of words, how do I get it to stop

Anonymous
2013-07-11T17:21:59+00:00

About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside.  I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-31T22:11:16+00:00

    Except it only happens in Word. Not in the browser, and not in any other app - so it's not the iPad doing it. Also, this issue has been experienced by people across all sorts of devices - only in Word. So it's absolutely Word that is doing it.

    For what it's worth, when I changed the font, Word started behaving normally again.

    I apologize: for some reason, I thought you said that you wanted to convert "i" to "I."

    Which AutoCorrect options, if any, are available in Word when you run it on an iPad?

    In Word for Windows (which this thread was originally about), AutoCorrect and AutoFormat As You Type can be configured in the AutoCorrect dialog box (File | Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-31T20:24:10+00:00

    Autocorrection in your browser (which should actually be called predictive text) is a feature of the browser or the operating system. It is not related to Microsoft Word

    Except it only happens in Word. Not in the browser, and not in any other app - so it's not the iPad doing it. Also, this issue has been experienced by people across all sorts of devices - only in Word. So it's absolutely Word that is doing it.

    For what it's worth, when I changed the font, Word started behaving normally again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-31T07:44:56+00:00

    Autocorrection in your browser (which should actually be called predictive text) is a feature of the browser or the operating system. It is not related to Microsoft Word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-31T07:26:18+00:00

    In that case, make sure that the correct language formatting has been applied to text and check which AutoCorrect entries are defined in your installation of Word.

    Thanks, but that was original my point: I can't find autocorrect entries in the app. It doesn't appear to exist. The language is correct.

    I’m having exactly the same problem on Word for iOS on my iPad. Typing this text into this website, it’s not capitalising any of the words starting with ‘i’.

    In Word, it is. 😠

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-06-07T00:43:19+00:00

    Does the reference to the "Play store" mean that you are running Word on an Android device? I'm not sure that all functionality of Word is available on that platform.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments