My Word randomly capitalizes the letter "i" at the start of words, how do I get it to stop

Anonymous
2013-07-11T17:21:59+00:00

About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside.  I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-08-07T15:54:37+00:00

    Pay close attention to how you are typing. This frequently happens to me because I start to type "in" but I accidentally get ahead of myself and instead type "i[space]n" instead of "in[space]." In those cases, it will capitalize the I regardless if you go back and delete the errant space.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-04T22:11:44+00:00

    Office 2016 (365)

    Thank you. It doesn't matter what document my Vice Director is in.

    Whatever document she chooses to enter it randomly capitalizes the letter i at the start of the word.

    I'm sorry to see more are affected by this, but still need a solution for this

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-19T16:22:27+00:00

    Hi,

    You may create a new Word document and check if Word randomly capitalizes the letter.

    If issue persists in new documents as well, then you may set Word back to its default settings by referring to the steps mentioned in the following article and check if it helps:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

    If the above information does not help, then you may reply for further assistance.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-11T22:26:46+00:00

    No, they're at random points in sentences.  I did check my Autocorrect, but it thinks it only capitalizes the letter i in contexts like I, I'll, I'd, etc, and not contexts unrelated to the word "I".

    Was this answer helpful?

    80+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-07-11T18:22:22+00:00

    Do the "randomly" capitalized words always appear at the beginning of a new line? If so you are pressing the Enter key when you want to end a line. Word takes this as the beginning of a new paragraph, and thus a new sentence.

    Basic concepts of Microsoft Word: An introduction

    Otherwise, check your AutoCorrect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments