My Word randomly capitalizes the letter "i" at the start of words, how do I get it to stop

Anonymous
2013-07-11T17:21:59+00:00

About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside.  I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-27T05:50:38+00:00

    No way!

    Brand new computer running Word 2016 for the first time (prior to this computer I was running Word 2010 and did not have the problem). 

    I had to search the internet to even find where the AutoCorrect settings were!

    The "i" setting WAS a default (and a dumb one...)

    Was this answer helpful?

    200+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-11-27T03:05:07+00:00

    This is not a default setting. You must have added these words yourself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-26T17:26:06+00:00

    If anyone is still having this problem, here's the solution:

    • Go to File>Options>Proofing
    • Select AutoCorrect Options
    • Select the AutoCorrect tab
    • In the "Replace text as you type" section :
      • Scroll down in the list and you will find that it set to default all i's at the beginning of a word to be replaced with an "I"

    I'd rather have to remember to capitalize my own I's than to have to un-capitalize every word that begins with an i....

    PS.  I tried to replace it with the option to replace a small i and a space with a capital I and a space, but it won't let me add that.  Microsoft...please fix this???

    Was this answer helpful?

    1100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-11-19T22:12:50+00:00

    It was pressing the Enter key at the end of the previous line that was being suggested.  If that was done, and the word that starts with i is the first word on the new line, then Word will treat it as the beginning of a new paragraph\sentence and if, under File>Options>Proofing>AutoCorrect Options>AutoCorrect, you have a check mark in the box for Capitalize first letter of sentences, that is what will be done with the I.

    That should not however happen if you are typing

    I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the café

    all on one line.  Is that really happening?

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-11-19T21:19:09+00:00

    Did you not read the very clear explanation offered?

    Typing "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe" has nothing to do with pressing the Enter key and ending a line.

    I have the same issue. It's extremely annoying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    400+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments