My Word randomly capitalizes the letter "i" at the start of words, how do I get it to stop

Anonymous
2013-07-11T17:21:59+00:00

About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside.  I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-20T13:30:09+00:00

    Does anyone have a fix for this?  I have an end user who just brought this same problem to my attention.  If she types a word that begins with the letter i in the middle of a sentence, it capitalizes the I.   I am on an island becomes I am on an Island.   I'm going inside becomes I'm going Inside.  Our email address contains  agency.in.gov  it becomes  agency.In.gov

    None of this is set up in autocorrect.  it's any word, anywhere in the sentence that begins with the letter i   

    Any one have a suggestion?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-31T07:26:18+00:00

    In that case, make sure that the correct language formatting has been applied to text and check which AutoCorrect entries are defined in your installation of Word.

    Thanks, but that was original my point: I can't find autocorrect entries in the app. It doesn't appear to exist. The language is correct.

    I’m having exactly the same problem on Word for iOS on my iPad. Typing this text into this website, it’s not capitalising any of the words starting with ‘i’.

    In Word, it is. 😠

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-06-05T14:04:39+00:00

    This is likely caused by the settings for "predictive typing" of the tablet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-29T23:50:13+00:00

    rubbish, who would put these words in manually? My word documents have only just started capitalising I in the middle of a sentence. The above solution fixed it straight away.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T16:11:25+00:00

    No way!

    Brand new computer running Word 2016 for the first time (prior to this computer I was running Word 2010 and did not have the problem). 

    I had to search the internet to even find where the AutoCorrect settings were!

    The "i" setting WAS a default (and a dumb one...)

    Hi Podo121 - I can't seem to find the setting you refer to please could you post a screen grab of the fix: new Word install this week and it is driving me insane having to correct this

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments