My Word randomly capitalizes the letter "i" at the start of words, how do I get it to stop

Anonymous
2013-07-11T17:21:59+00:00

About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside.  I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-05T14:10:33+00:00

    This is likely caused by the settings for "predictive typing" of the tablet.

    No, doesn't do it in other apps. In fact, doesn't do it in Outlook. Just Word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T17:30:07+00:00

    Thanks for this, mine doesn't have the capital "I" in the place indicated in your screenshot in build 8730.2127 so no fix for me as yet

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-03-06T19:32:42+00:00

    I can't figure out a way to put such a function into a template, but that does not mean that someone else could not.

    Any way I would do it would involve macros which may be in the This Document object and not visible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-03-06T01:47:09+00:00

    It has come time to grasp at straws.

    Does this happen when you start Word in safe mode?

    You may have already said, but is this in one document or many?

    If many, are they based on the same template?

    BTW, not a cure, but Ctrl+Z can help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-07-11T18:22:22+00:00

    Do the "randomly" capitalized words always appear at the beginning of a new line? If so you are pressing the Enter key when you want to end a line. Word takes this as the beginning of a new paragraph, and thus a new sentence.

    Basic concepts of Microsoft Word: An introduction

    Otherwise, check your AutoCorrect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments