A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
It has to do with the font youre using.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside. I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
It has to do with the font youre using.
I just changed my font from New York to all Times New Roman, saved; closed; reopened, and it stopped capitalizing all words that start with i. It really is a font issue. There seem to be a few that have this inherently in their programming and you can't change that about that font. You'll just have to switch fonts. Sorry.
This is not a default setting. You must have added these words yourself.
Nope - I have just installed Word on a new laptop this week and have never seen this problem until now but at the moment I am having the exact same issue with random capitalisation of "I" at the beginning of words. Will attempt solution proposed by Podo121 (thanks)
=
A couple of thoughts.
In the options category everyone is talking about, (File, options, proofing)
Make sure your 'custom dictionaries' do not have " i " as an entry. Remove it if it does! (you may have to check all of the dictionaries in the top part) This will let you proof the pronoun "i" if the next steps don't work.
That should make some grammar lurkers who didn't think you knew 4th grade grammar feel better.
Then go to AutoCorrect on the same proofing page, and see if the"i "has the rule. that says:
"Replace i | I" (as mentioned in the previously with nice pictures).
Delete it, then re-enter it.
Open up a NEW word page, and see if this is happening.
(or 'see If this Is still happening')
If not, then it may be fixed, try to type "when i am inside"
hopefully this fixed your new sheets, and it corrected.
If it is still a mess up, change the font on a new blank page, to anything that uses both upper and lower cases. Try it again,
Hopefully that works!
For your previous documents entries-did you copy them from an older computer, or a page not written in your new computer?
Change the font on one of those pages, and try to type again.
I had an "arial MT" word document from a professor, and It did It to me on all of his worksheets,
I don't have the MT as a font option, but I changed it to arial (plain) and it let me type the words starting with the letter i without capitalizing them, but still fixed the pronoun.
If you have old forms, that you NEED to use again and again, open one up, and go to the proofing page again, and click "recheck document".
Any new entries should be correct-
BUT
to fix older ones.....
Go to find/ replace, option at the far right of the home page of that word document; enter I in the find, then i in the replace. Open the "more>>" options and check "Match case" correct your page for items you may have missed. Do it one at a time, so you don't fix the first i-words in sentences.
So it may be your font not converting to your new word.
Hope this helps someone out there
That is indeed what is happening to me. (Or, as that sentence would likely appear in Word, "That is Indeed what is happening to me.")