My Word randomly capitalizes the letter "i" at the start of words, how do I get it to stop

Anonymous
2013-07-11T17:21:59+00:00

About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside.  I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-01T22:43:30+00:00

    No, brand new install, first time typing new document. I noticed it right away.

    A custom *.acl file could have been copied into Word's folder. Or perhaps the language of text is set to something other than you expect.

    Which version of Office are you running?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-31T00:49:14+00:00

    No, brand new install, first time typing new document. I noticed it right away.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-08-02T22:00:53+00:00

    I apologize: for some reason, I thought you said that you wanted to convert "i" to "I." 

    Which AutoCorrect options, if any, are available in Word when you run it on an iPad?

    In Word for Windows (which this thread was originally about), AutoCorrect and AutoFormat As You Type can be configured in the AutoCorrect dialog box (File | Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options).

    *grin* No worries - and I do appreciate your responding to my query.

    Microsoft has not built those functions into Word for iOS (yet?) 

    It does seem to use it's own text engine though, which would explain the weirdness with autocorrect & fonts. It's just interesting that this issue happens across different devices.

    Thanks for the follow-up.

    Unfortunately, Word for Mac devices is very different from Word for Windows devices (in some respects). Just in case, to get updated information, you may want to start a new thread in the Word for Mac section of this forum:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_mac?sort=lastreplydate&dir=desc&tab=All&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=all&isFilterExpanded=true&tm=1533247053429

    Use the Ask a Question link at the top right of the forums page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-02T02:51:23+00:00

    I apologize: for some reason, I thought you said that you wanted to convert "i" to "I." 

    Which AutoCorrect options, if any, are available in Word when you run it on an iPad?

    In Word for Windows (which this thread was originally about), AutoCorrect and AutoFormat As You Type can be configured in the AutoCorrect dialog box (File | Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options).

    *grin* No worries - and I do appreciate your responding to my query.

    Microsoft has not built those functions into Word for iOS (yet?) 

    It does seem to use it's own text engine though, which would explain the weirdness with autocorrect & fonts. It's just interesting that this issue happens across different devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments