Where has autocorrect gone in Word 365?

Anonymous
2013-07-09T23:23:33+00:00

Presumably through an oversight, Microsoft has very annoyingly dropped autocorrect from the right click menu on spelling errors. Does anyone know how to get it back? Probably not - I have researched it and found no answers. However a good work around is to add Autocorrect options to the quick access toolbar which is almost as good. Microsoft - please bring back right click autocorrect in the next version of Word/Office.

Also if you're reading this, please also reduce the spaces between icons in the QAT - it is annoying that I can't fit as many on one page width as I could in 2010. Sad that it is not nearly as good as the 2003 QAT on which you could fit as many rows as you wanted!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-26T06:06:22+00:00

    Although I tried everything said on this forum with no results, now I tried Greg Maxey's exelent work, his latest and revised version and saw a light of hope. I installed the 2016 file (I have Office 365/Word 2016) in Word's STARTUP folder as explained; nothing happened. Then installed the 2013 file; nada. Then I restarted the computer and... voilá! when right-clicking the mouse, on the menu appears the option of "Auto correct". Almost cried with joy, BUT when selecting the "Auto correct" option the only thing that happens is that a small empty square appears on the right, but nothing more; no options, no nothing.

    Sigh.

    (insert sad emoticon here)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-25T22:46:25+00:00

    Jon,

    Thanks.  I got the first report of this issue about 2 weeks ago.  Then again last week.  Both times I checked and it still worked for me.  Today I saw this thread was restarted so I checked again and it had stopped working.

    Office updated Tuesday night I think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-25T21:19:51+00:00

    Good work Greg. Just to advise that your <Add AutoCorrect to Word 2013 Spelling Shortcut Menu.dotm> downloaded 6 April stored in my Word Startup folder is still working fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-25T15:40:09+00:00

    Folks,

    It seems that MS strikes again.  A revised version of the add-in can be download at:

    http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/customize_shortcut_menu.html

    Apparently in a recent update MS has attempted to add an additional control to the Spelling Context menu with the caption "Proofing".  Well, they failed.  No such control appears and their actions offset the index value in my code which was resulting in an error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-05-25T13:58:07+00:00

    Suzanne,

    Would you please send me a webpage feedback so I can send you a template to test with.  I think I may have this issue resolved.  It seems that they have added a control (which I can't see) that was offsetting the index for building the list.

    Best Regards,

    Greg Maxey

    ~ Persian ProverbThe dogs bark but the caravan moves on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments