Review comments disappeared

Anonymous
2014-05-04T12:30:54+00:00

So I've spend long hours addressing student coursework, giving comments on their projects.  They said the comments wouldn't work so I re-opened their documents and they appear to be correct.  Where are all my comments gone?  The actual comment boxes are still there but they are empty.  This is incredibly annoying.  Can I get them back or have they gone forever?  Screen shot provided for reference.

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.*****

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-05T18:00:23+00:00

    This solution worked for me when none of the earlier solutions did.

    This is what I saw originally. My comments appeared but the other reviewers did not.

    After trying this solution, everything is back to normal.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-05T16:01:33+00:00

    Had this problem, my solution is sort of brute force

    I opened the broken DOCX file with LIBRE office writer, all the comments appered. I saved it as a .DOCX file. When I opened the resulting document in word the comments were back. The comment format changed a little but for my purposes that was fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-02-03T00:57:05+00:00

    If you send me a copy of the document, referencing this thread in the covering email message, I will investigate the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-02T23:27:21+00:00

    I'm in the middle of negotiating a contract and had included 15+ comments and lost 90% of them.  I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with this but I'm so frustrated that it's even happening.

    Did anyone ever find a resolution?

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T15:37:46+00:00

    I had someone send multiple copies of the same file and each had the comments missing. 

    I then turned the Word docx into a Word.zip file and looked at the entry for comments.

    The comment reference IDs were shown but the comments were missing any content. So my guess is a file corruption for some reason during transmission, as the file was displayed at the originator end?

    The comments.xml at fault was:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?>

    -<w16cid:commentsIds mc:Ignorable="w14 w15 w16se w16cid wp14"

    .....

    .....

    <w16cid:commentId w16cid:durableId="1E08806E" w16cid:paraId="128C1B84"/>

    <w16cid:commentId w16cid:durableId="1E08806F" w16cid:paraId="49BB4D80"/>

    </w16cid:commentsIds>

    Should have looked like:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?>

    -<w:comments mc:Ignorable="w14 w15 w16se w16cid wp14" 

    .....

    .....

    -<w:comment w:initials="n" w:date="2018-01-17T14:54:00Z" w:author="nicholaswade" w:id="0">

    -<w:p w:rsidRDefault="00323099" w:rsidR="00323099" w14:textId="4A99632E" w14:paraId="55C551B6">

    -<w:pPr>

    <w:pStyle w:val="CommentText"/>

    </w:pPr>

    -<w:r>

    -<w:rPr>

    <w:rStyle w:val="CommentReference"/>

    </w:rPr>

    <w:annotationRef/>

    </w:r>

    -<w:r>

    <w:t>A comment</w:t>

    </w:r>

    </w:p>

    </w:comment>

    -<w:comment w:initials="n" w:date="2018-01-17T14:54:00Z" w:author="nicholaswade" w:id="2">

    -<w:p w:rsidRDefault="00323099" w:rsidR="00323099" w14:textId="59CC4AF9" w14:paraId="797EAE0E">

    -<w:pPr>

    <w:pStyle w:val="CommentText"/>

    </w:pPr>

    -<w:r>

    -<w:rPr>

    <w:rStyle w:val="CommentReference"/>

    </w:rPr>

    <w:annotationRef/>

    </w:r>

    -<w:r>

    <w:t>A comment</w:t>

    </w:r>

    </w:p>

    </w:comment>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments