A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
If you send me a copy of the document, referencing this thread in the covering email message, I will investigate the issue.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
So I've spend long hours addressing student coursework, giving comments on their projects. They said the comments wouldn't work so I re-opened their documents and they appear to be correct. Where are all my comments gone? The actual comment boxes are still there but they are empty. This is incredibly annoying. Can I get them back or have they gone forever? Screen shot provided for reference.
***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.*****
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
If you send me a copy of the document, referencing this thread in the covering email message, I will investigate the issue.
Like the OP, its not just the comment content, but the commentor is missing. I lost most, but not all comments in document. The first three comments were unaffected, then the fourth was missing the commentor and was a different color. The reset were still highlighting the relevant test, but no commentor and not comments.
Very frustrating and very concerning at how widespread this is. I had no glitch, no crash, no warning at all. Just a usual save. Opened later and near everything is missing.
I'm in the middle of negotiating a contract and had included 15+ comments and lost 90% of them. I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with this but I'm so frustrated that it's even happening.
Did anyone ever find a resolution?
Thank you!
I had someone send multiple copies of the same file and each had the comments missing.
I then turned the Word docx into a Word.zip file and looked at the entry for comments.
The comment reference IDs were shown but the comments were missing any content. So my guess is a file corruption for some reason during transmission, as the file was displayed at the originator end?
The comments.xml at fault was:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?>
-<w16cid:commentsIds mc:Ignorable="w14 w15 w16se w16cid wp14"
.....
.....
<w16cid:commentId w16cid:durableId="1E08806E" w16cid:paraId="128C1B84"/>
<w16cid:commentId w16cid:durableId="1E08806F" w16cid:paraId="49BB4D80"/>
</w16cid:commentsIds>
Should have looked like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?>
-<w:comments mc:Ignorable="w14 w15 w16se w16cid wp14"
.....
.....
-<w:comment w:initials="n" w:date="2018-01-17T14:54:00Z" w:author="nicholaswade" w:id="0">
-<w:p w:rsidRDefault="00323099" w:rsidR="00323099" w14:textId="4A99632E" w14:paraId="55C551B6">
-<w:pPr>
<w:pStyle w:val="CommentText"/>
</w:pPr>
-<w:r>
-<w:rPr>
<w:rStyle w:val="CommentReference"/>
</w:rPr>
<w:annotationRef/>
</w:r>
-<w:r>
<w:t>A comment</w:t>
</w:r>
</w:p>
</w:comment>
-<w:comment w:initials="n" w:date="2018-01-17T14:54:00Z" w:author="nicholaswade" w:id="2">
-<w:p w:rsidRDefault="00323099" w:rsidR="00323099" w14:textId="59CC4AF9" w14:paraId="797EAE0E">
-<w:pPr>
<w:pStyle w:val="CommentText"/>
</w:pPr>
-<w:r>
-<w:rPr>
<w:rStyle w:val="CommentReference"/>
</w:rPr>
<w:annotationRef/>
</w:r>
-<w:r>
<w:t>A comment</w:t>
</w:r>
</w:p>
</w:comment>
Note that no one in this thread is working for Microsoft (as far as I can tell). This is a user-to-user forum.
I'm afraid that consistent steps to reproduce will be required for Microsoft to have a closer look at this.
If you are seeing this in a specific document, you can share that document with the forum.