Review comments disappeared

Anonymous
2014-05-04T12:30:54+00:00

So I've spend long hours addressing student coursework, giving comments on their projects.  They said the comments wouldn't work so I re-opened their documents and they appear to be correct.  Where are all my comments gone?  The actual comment boxes are still there but they are empty.  This is incredibly annoying.  Can I get them back or have they gone forever?  Screen shot provided for reference.

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.*****

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-08-16T22:09:53+00:00

    Yes, I have been able to restore the comments by accessing the comments.xml component of the file and removing an errant bookmark.

    I am not the least bit interested in the content of your document and you can rest assured that I will not make it available to anyone else and will delete it after returning a copy to you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-02-03T00:57:05+00:00

    If you send me a copy of the document, referencing this thread in the covering email message, I will investigate the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-06-06T13:28:14+00:00

    So, after struggling with this problem for hours last night and restarting multiple times, shutting off my PC for the night seems to have done the trick. A cold boot, and everything's back to normal. I tested multiple docs, ones I worked on last night as well as others, and the issue seems to have resolved itself.  If it happens again, I'll be back!  Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-06-06T12:12:00+00:00

    If you send me a copy of the document, referencing this thread in the covering email message, I will investigate the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-04-30T21:50:19+00:00

    Thanks, but sadly, no change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments