Review comments disappeared

Anonymous
2014-05-04T12:30:54+00:00

So I've spend long hours addressing student coursework, giving comments on their projects.  They said the comments wouldn't work so I re-opened their documents and they appear to be correct.  Where are all my comments gone?  The actual comment boxes are still there but they are empty.  This is incredibly annoying.  Can I get them back or have they gone forever?  Screen shot provided for reference.

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.*****

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-21T02:26:17+00:00

    Thanks for the quick informative reply, Stefan. I am new to the concept of a user forum and will need to learn what I can hope to gain from it. In anycase, I cannot share the current document that I'm having issues with because it is confifdential information. Perhaps when I get past this, I can take some time to make a mock up. But the very first entry in this thread, made a year ago, clearly shows exactly the problem I have. Comments are carefully entered in the document. Then they inexplicabley dissapear. Does anyone now how to fix this? 

    I can say that my frustration that may be apparent stems from having more MSO surprises pop up when in the midst of doing important time sensitive work. But it is also not only having paid thousands of dollars over years of buying/supporting MSO products, and also being a shareholder, but seeing that they continually make inexplicable changes to the products that require training to learn. I have also taken many classes and paid trainers spending hours in training and retraining to learn the latest excel updates. It frustrates me that MSO dosn't fix or make the most basic logstanding goofy outdated things more intuitivre or user friendly, before doing so. (just for example - why do I need implement the developer feature to use a basic checkbox. In this day, every other app has this feature.

    So why are there no real people that work for MSO who can respond directly to the user questions? Microsoft's stock has been consistantly showing a profit for years. Why can't they give back and provide real time support. Why do they have to relay on dedicated volnteers like yourself to fix or provide workarounds  for the the flaws and explain how to use obscure features?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T15:01:25+00:00

    I have the same question on the same frustrating results. This is absurd that the notes randomly dissapear for no apparent reason. I'm in the midst of writing a novel and in a writers group in which we share work with comments. How to get real help on this real failure from MSWord? Please MSW staff, don't simply reply with, 'can't recreate the same results.' Simply listen to your paying, frustrated, customers and find a way to fix the flaw.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2016-04-01T08:55:34+00:00

    Also having this problem (in Word 2016).  I open the manuscript, as I do each day, and it says it won't open--Word has found an error that in the details option is described simply as "Comments"--so when I finally get it to open it has ERASED EVERY SINGLE COMMENT.  Comment bubbles are still there, sitting empty. 

    See if the balloons contain text formatted as hidden or in white color.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-05T18:00:23+00:00

    This solution worked for me when none of the earlier solutions did.

    This is what I saw originally. My comments appeared but the other reviewers did not.

    After trying this solution, everything is back to normal.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-12T15:49:33+00:00

    Hello,

    I recently had a user experience this issue with a file they had stored on our SharePoint 2013 on premise instance. The issue turned out to not be a SharePoint issue, but a corrupt file.

    The easiest way to repair this was to open the file with LibreOffice an open source file editor. This tool is known to have less issues with corrupt files. I lucked out, and the users file opened with all of the missing comments. I could then save a new copy, and the issue was resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments