"Read Mode" in Word 2013 does not look as the "Take a Tour" document says - wonder why so?

Anonymous
2014-06-02T05:36:46+00:00
  • This question is based on Take a Tour document of Word 2013.

  • It says, as you see in the image below, that I can view a Word document in Read Mode where as the icon shows, the document will appear in book fold

  • But then, as I click on Read Mode Icon, the following is what I get, NOT in book fold view as the icon shows

  • Wonder, why it is so, or what have I done wrong?
Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T15:24:20+00:00

    In Read Mode, click View | Layout | Column Layout. Does that fix the problem?

    When Online Repair of Office 2013 did not help, I tried in "Read Mode" View | Layout | Column Layoutand I got the following at 100% screen (1360 x 768).

    In Word 2007 + Windows 7, I used to get a neat book like view and it never occupied the whole screen at 100% --

    Would you think that uninstalling and then reinstalling Office 2013 may help? Or, does that serve the same purpose as Online Repair?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T14:50:20+00:00

    Yes, you can do an Office Repair.   It usually does not cause any problems, and should only take a few minutes.

    Earlier, I had done a Quick Repair. This time, I did Online Repair. No change in view (Read Mode).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-06-02T13:41:44+00:00

    In Read Mode, click View | Layout | Column Layout. Does that fix the problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T11:20:52+00:00

    this is what I meant when I said book view was displayed when scrolling down to 100%

    I was able to display this with AND without  turning on multiple page: book fold.

    I don't know what is causing your problem.

    Yes, you can do an Office Repair.   It usually does not cause any problems, and should only take a few minutes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T10:31:57+00:00

    I suspect the fix for your problem is simple.  Just ZOOM out, use <CTL><mouse scroll wheel> to adjust the zoom level. As you scroll out, you will see a bookfold representation.

    Thank you for explaining the logic behind Microsoft's recommendation to use 32 bit unless...

    Last time I had tried zoom out using slider at bottom right.

    This time I tried <CTL><mouse scroll wheel> to zoom out.

    But it did not help.

    In Read Mode, pages look like this -

    Despite Page Layout settings being like this -

    Should I Repair Office and see what happens?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments