"Read Mode" in Word 2013 does not look as the "Take a Tour" document says - wonder why so?

Anonymous
2014-06-02T05:36:46+00:00
  • This question is based on Take a Tour document of Word 2013.

  • It says, as you see in the image below, that I can view a Word document in Read Mode where as the icon shows, the document will appear in book fold

  • But then, as I click on Read Mode Icon, the following is what I get, NOT in book fold view as the icon shows

  • Wonder, why it is so, or what have I done wrong?
Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-06-03T11:46:42+00:00

    I haven't tested with the Bookfold option selected; maybe that causes (some of) the differences we have seen.

    Note that although Read Mode has existed for a while (under different names), it has been redesigned a few times, so you can't really compare to what was in Word 2007.

    I'm not sure which problem with Google Search you are referring to. Generally, whether third-party add-ins work or not is up to the creator of the add-in, not to Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-03T00:05:34+00:00

    Strange.

    To clarify what I see: I don't get two facing pages at all zoom ratios. If I increase the zoom, eventually I get only one page. However, to see anything similar to what you see, with individual pages appearing on screen in Read Mode, I have to click View | Layout | Paper Layout.

    True, it's strange! Just opposite of mine in some way. What I get in Column Layout, you get that in Paper Layout. In Paper Layout, if I increase the zoom to 100% then I get only one page on the screen. Here it is important to clarify that my Page Layout > Page Setup > Margins settings are Landscape and Book fold. If I change settings to Normal, I see only one page disregard whether it's Landscape or Portrait provided it's Paper Layout in Read Mode. If I change to Column Layout, I get what I showed in my previous reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-06-02T21:40:37+00:00

    Strange.

    To clarify what I see: I don't get two facing pages at all zoom ratios. If I increase the zoom, eventually I get only one page. However, to see anything similar to what you see, with individual pages appearing on screen in Read Mode, I have to click View | Layout | Paper Layout.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T17:57:13+00:00

               

    However, note that monitor size and screen resolution are factors at work here. If you reduce the zoom below 100%, then does the display resemble what you would expect?

    Thanks.

    No.

    • The following screenshot (view >> read mode >> view >> layout >> paper layout) is displayed in 20% zoom out state -

    • Whereas, the following screenshot (view >> read mode >> view >> layout >> column layout) was displayed in 100% (no zoom out, no zoom in) state -

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-06-02T17:39:40+00:00

    Generally, uninstalling and reinstalling usually do not fix problems that repairing can't fix.

    However, note that monitor size and screen resolution are factors at work here. If you reduce the zoom below 100%, then does the display resemble what you would expect?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments