"Read Mode" in Word 2013 does not look as the "Take a Tour" document says - wonder why so?

Anonymous
2014-06-02T05:36:46+00:00
  • This question is based on Take a Tour document of Word 2013.

  • It says, as you see in the image below, that I can view a Word document in Read Mode where as the icon shows, the document will appear in book fold

  • But then, as I click on Read Mode Icon, the following is what I get, NOT in book fold view as the icon shows

  • Wonder, why it is so, or what have I done wrong?
Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-12T11:29:22+00:00

    I received the following reminder from The Microsoft Community Team -

    Hello YBR2014:

    Remember that question you asked on Microsoft Community a few days ago?

    Title: (1)"Read Mode" in Word 2013 does not look as the "Take a Tour" document says - wonder why so?

    We noticed that the question hasn't been marked as

    Answered yet and we were wondering if you resolved the issue.

    Thanks for

    being a member of Microsoft Community!

    Sincerely,

    The Microsoft

    Community Team

    When I reply to your mail it returns undelivered. Hence, posting the reply here:

    Hello Microsoft Community Team,

    If no one is able to offer appropriate solution, question remains in unanswered state. If user realizes from the answers so far received that keeping the question open will serve no fruitful purpose, shouldn’t he have an option to close the ticket on his own? Why can’t you add an option for user “ticket closed”?

    Or, if the user finds out the solution by himself before someone else offering an appropriate solution, shouldn’t he have the option to mark his answer as Answer? And, that would automatically close the ticket.

    Please think over.

    Sincerely,

    Maanoj Rakhit

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-11T15:57:39+00:00

    If Word 2007 does what you need, why are you not using it? Far be it from me to defend Word 2013, which I detest. I personally am still using Word 2003 (and 2010 for some things).

    Don't you read, or remember what you read, before asking?

    I had explained in an earlier posts to you that the licensed version of Word 2007 was installed on my 7 year old computer which is not as well equipped as this new computer is (less than one year old).

    I had explained to you that I bought Word 2013 for new machine with Windows 8.1. The old machine had Win 7 with Word 2007.

    I had also mentioned that if I do not find a proper alternative, I might use my old machine for this specific purpose alone.

    But that not being a very convenient and efficient way to work with two computers and one monitor, I had also mentioned to you that I might purchase another license for Word 2007. Another monitor will be more expensive than another license for Word 2007. And working on two machines is clumsier than working on one machine.

    Problem is you kept on giving me meaningless advices wasting my time for nothing.  You simply don't give up even when you do not understand the core issue though explained differently to you. With such limited perspective you should not be advising things that you don't understand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-06-11T15:14:32+00:00

    If Word 2007 does what you need, why are you not using it? Far be it from me to defend Word 2013, which I detest. I personally am still using Word 2003 (and 2010 for some things).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-11T13:11:28+00:00

    I think what we have here is a failure of imagination. But Word is not prepress software. Perhaps you should be looking at Adobe InDesign.        

    What you fail to understand is Word 2007 could do it and I made it do it. That is success of imagination, not failure.

    It is failure of imagination on part of the theoreticians like you who are devoid of any imagination to get best out of a software like Word 2007.

    Lack of understanding of capabilities of Word 2007 made you comment like that. So, live in the box where you truly belong to for you need greater intelligence to use hidden capabilities of a software like Word 2007.

    Lacking that capability, you defend Word 2013. Expand your horizon my dear, don't be the 'frog in the well' who thinks the world is as big as the well. So, you think Word 2007 could not do what I did with it and repeatedly told you.

    You think I was not aware of Adobe Design or did not explore it? Do you know the price difference? Would you be stupid enough to spend that much extra when Word 2007 can do what I needed?  

    It is your gross ignorance of Word 2007's capabilities (in this particular context) that makes you offer foolish suggestion like this.

    When I had made it abundantly clear in earlier post that I do not expect you to offer any intelligent solution and therefore, I closed further discussion; so, why did you go pursuing it further? At least, your ignorance of Word 2007 would not have become so very apparent.

    Don't think what you say about Word 2007 is the last word. You have lot more to learn about its capabilities. Don't hide your ignorance by giving such one-liners 'Word is not prepress software'. Who said it is? But who says it cannot be used for something it is not known for? Isn't that height of stupidity?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-06-11T12:49:26+00:00

    I think what we have here is a failure of imagination. But Word is not prepress software. Perhaps you should be looking at Adobe InDesign.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments